Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm in the market for some new mods to my 05 v6 auto mustang. One of the things I wanted to do was swap the rear gears. Been looking at 3.73s and 4.10s. only other mods I have and plan to do are: CAI, pypes true duals, TB spacer. planing on getting 70mm bbk TB, under drive pully and maybe a tuner. Thats pretty much it. No big power adders just the small stuff. So I my question is: Which gears would be better recomeded for the type of setup I have? Thanks for any advice :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
If that's it...ppl would prolly recommend going with the 4.10s.
98% will tell you that a throttle body is a waste of money...

Just my 0.02 :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
A TB spacer is an expensive paper weight, a bigger TB will only really help if you are F/I if you want the best bang for you buck get a SCT tuner from american muscle! Tell them what CAI you have so they can make the best of it! Don't spend 100's of dollars for 2-5 hp increases! The tuner will add 15-20 rwhp 70 mm TB not so much!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kinda what I figured. I think I'll go ahead and get the Motive 4.10s and SCT tuner from AM. Any opinions on underdrive pulleys? Found this one.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Word of advice about Motives...
Ppl say they tend to whine a lil more than Ford Racing gears...
Just my 2cents, but I have Motives...they whine alil...barely noticeable, but can tell its there...

When the windows are up and no music...but thats no way to ride...

Windows down and music cranked up = no whine! :bigthumbsup

Unsure about the underdrive pulley, if you find out anything let us know. Another 0.02 if it claims 15-20 gains...may be more like 10-12...just throwing that out there...if more even better. :shiny:

·
Registered
531 Posts
Hi,
I'm in the market for some new mods to my 05 v6 auto mustang. One of the things I wanted to do was swap the rear gears. Been looking at 3.73s and 4.10s. only other mods I have and plan to do are: CAI, pypes true duals, TB spacer. planing on getting 70mm bbk TB, under drive pully and maybe a tuner. Thats pretty much it. No big power adders just the small stuff. So I my question is: Which gears would be better recomeded for the type of setup I have? Thanks for any advice :bigthumbsup
buy the sct tuner you will feel like your driving a new car with the race tune

·
Registered
531 Posts
Kinda what I figured. I think I'll go ahead and get the Motive 4.10s and SCT tuner from AM. Any opinions on underdrive pulleys? Found this one.
that is a good pulley its the same 1 i bought

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Word of advice about Motives...
Ppl say they tend to whine a lil more than Ford Racing gears...
Just my 2cents, but I have Motives...they whine alil...barely noticeable, but can tell its there...

When the windows are up and no music...but thats no way to ride...

Windows down and music cranked up = no whine! :bigthumbsup

Unsure about the underdrive pulley, if you find out anything let us know. Another 0.02 if it claims 15-20 gains...may be more like 10-12...just throwing that out there...if more even better. :shiny:
I agree :grinroll: I'm rockin out while in my stang too. I dont want to hear the whine while my driving around with my wife or daughter (her "VROOOOM") I wanted to go with ford racing gears but didnt see any from AM for 4.10s for the 7.5 rear end. Not looking at swapping out the rear end either. lol. I figure I've got a while to look anyways. Forward deployed and wont be able to play for a few more months anyways. I'll more than likely go ahead and get the tuner and just have the wife have it ready for me when I get back. Thanks for all the info and advice.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
that is a good pulley its the same 1 i bought
How do you like it? Notice any segnifigant gain with it? I think my factory one may be going bad anyways. Might be woth it regardless. lol

·
Registered
531 Posts
How do you like it? Notice any segnifigant gain with it? I think my factory one may be going bad anyways. Might be woth it regardless. lol
mine was going bad which is the main reason why i changed mine. ford was trying to sell me the stock pulley which cost more than the aftermarket.

after i put it on i noticed more power and better throttle response. i also beat my friends 04 gt so i guess it was a great add on. i didnt even have my tune yet. before i installed the pulley i could not beat him.'

either way i recommend it since your pulley is going bad which is common. you will fell the difference.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Can someone with the UDP chime in as to the 15+ hp and 10 lbs of torque numbers. Sounds pretty optimistic to me?

·
Registered
87 Posts
if you're doing the gears I'd wait until you could afford a limited slip diff and do that at the same time. two wheel burnouts are way cooler haha

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
if you're doing the gears I'd wait until you could afford a limited slip diff and do that at the same time. two wheel burnouts are way cooler haha
:yup: Yep, got that all ready. The gears I have are starting to go bad. I can hear them grind at low speed turns around parking lots. Not very atractive. lol

·
Registered
63 Posts
also be cautious if you do alot of freeway and highway driving you wont want a set of 4.10's cause youll be reving really high on the highway..:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
531 Posts
i heard 4.10 gears are better for autos and since your doing that might as well get the T loc

1 - 15 of 15 Posts