Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i got everything in my stang running correctly now, FINALLY! Now the only problem i have is i'm throwing a PO141 02 sensor Bank 1/ sensor 2 and also PO161 02 sensor Bank 2/ Sensor 2 for a heating malfuntion. I have plug-in MILs and they are taking care of the PO420/430 but i wasn't sure if the MILs should be correcting this code also. I checked all fuses and they are all good. What needs to be done to get rid of this code? Do i need new rear sensors or is there another way? (do not own a tuner so turning off rear sensors is not an option)

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
You ought to just have the rear O2s disabled in the tune. That would take care of that once and for all.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Try clearing the codes and maybe disconnecting the battery for a while and see if that fixes it, if the mils are in right they should be taking care of any codes to do with the rear O2 sensors.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lol...I just said that i do not have a tuner, therefore turning off the rear sensors through the tune is not an option. I called AM and asked if the MILs should block these codes from being thrown and they couldnt even find the PO141/161 in there computers or whatever. Also, i am hoping that even though my cats r gutted i will pass emissions since i will pass the visual inspection for having my cats. Now i just have to get my cel off and stay off. . . .oh yea, and i also have to hope that whoever is testing my stang for emissions has a serious congestion sickness so he wont smell the exhaust ;) so thats why this has become crucial. I was under the impression that turning the rear sensors off with a tuner would kill any chances of passing emissions, or am i wrong? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Try clearing the codes and maybe disconnecting the battery for a while and see if that fixes it, if the mils are in right they should be taking care of any codes to do with the rear O2 sensors.
Oh yea, i forgot to mention that i already tried this multiple times. I have been told that it is very common to get a bad pair of MILs, but it doesnt seem like i will be able to have AM send me a new pair b/c they evidently arent even aware of the PO141/161....or maybe i just talked to the one guy who doesnt know much??

·
Registered
175 Posts
mine came on the other day after some heavy rain and me driving in it...code came up P0136 i believe (downstream Bank 2 O2 sensor), and i have the MIL plug-ins too. after a day of normal driving and no rain, the CEL went off...im thinking the connector may have gotten wet or its starting to corrode. in any event it corrected itself

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
lol...I just said that i do not have a tuner, therefore turning off the rear sensors through the tune is not an option. I called AM and asked if the MILs should block these codes from being thrown and they couldnt even find the PO141/161 in there computers or whatever. Also, i am hoping that even though my cats r gutted i will pass emissions since i will pass the visual inspection for having my cats. Now i just have to get my cel off and stay off. . . .oh yea, and i also have to hope that whoever is testing my stang for emissions has a serious congestion sickness so he wont smell the exhaust ;) so thats why this has become crucial. I was under the impression that turning the rear sensors off with a tuner would kill any chances of passing emissions, or am i wrong? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Sorry, missed the part about no tuner. Might be worth the investment.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
If you call back with AM, tell them the PO141-161 is the same as the P0135 for purposes of troubleshooting.

If you have no cats, and your state does a sniffer test, you probably won't pass. If all they do is look at the plumbing, though, you might be OK.

Turning off the rear sensors (or anything that triggers a CEL) will briefly store a code (usually P1000) that only a series of start/heat/drive/shutoff cycles will remove. This also occurs if you pull the battery terminals, and reset the settings. This is to squeal out anyone trying to outfox the test, but it only stays on for a while. Once the "Monitor Cycle" can complete itself WITHOUT resetting the CEL, you're ready to go.

If I had to guess, I would say that you might first try removing the MILs and reinstalling them. Make sure there's no way for water to get up into the connectors. But in any event, you MIGHT just have some bad ones, and yes, that's not uncommon.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Awesome! Thanks for your help guys. My check engine light has been on since Monday for the PO141/161 so i doubt that it will turn off by itself anytime soon. I figure if it was going to do that it would have done it by now. I am going to try unplugging them and putting them back on after work tonight and see if this doesn't help. If not than hopefully AM will exchange them for me....Now i need to start putting focus on getting a tuner. I am most likely going to get a Diablo. My mods are listed below and I also plan on gettin a new throttle body and plenum. Whats the best method of tuning my stang? This is my daily driver and I care a lot more about just having my car run as efficiently as possible rather than getting as much possible hp as i can. Is a dyno tune necessary or should i just get a downloaded tune? Im looking for the most reliability.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.