Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I am pretty new to rebuilding and learning as I go and when I cannot find the information on the internet I come here.

My question is I recently cut away some rust areas on the right rear quarter panel. I bought a Quarter Panel Repair Skin due to the fact the rust was only located in 2 or 3 spots and did not include any of the spots were water normal sits.

What is the best way to attach this to the body itself? I was thinking of Mig Wire welding but unsure? Anyone have any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks as Always

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Use the mig. Just make sure to dial it in so that it isn't too hot. I butt weld the panels to one another, some people like to run a flange around the repair piece. If you use a flange there is a possible rust problem that may surface if water gets under it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
To prevent warpage due to overheating, weld only short segments at a time. After a 3/4" or 1" segment, quench the weld with a wet rag to cool the metal. Repeat the process after each welded segment. Cool and rewet the rag after each use.

The welding comes after it has been properly fitted and "TACKED" into place. If you skip the good fitting and COMPLETE tacking, you will also have warpage. With warpage, your body guy will then do a hammer massage on it at his shop rate.

When you dress the weld with your grinder, keep in mind you MUST do the frequent quenching again as the grinder will also heat the metal up enough to cause warpage.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.