Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about investing in the rear seat delete kit but idk if i should. I think it is good because it removes 40 pounds and i can get out of driving more then one person at a time. I am 2ed guessing my self because people say it does not look as nice. Also Americanmuscle sead "Advanced mechanical skills required". If you have done this to your mustang plz tell me what u think about this upgrade/downgrade.

Rear Seat Delete Kit - Black (05-12 Mustang) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

·
Registered
927 Posts
no advanced skill required lol, its very very easy, all you need is a socket wrench.

J

·
0 Posts
I personally think it looks like crap. I wouldn't consider a rear seat delete unless it's for full-out racing purposes. Unless you're planning on loading it full of subs in which case there goes your 40 lb. Yeah, you get out of giving someone a ride but what if that someone is a couple of hot babes who don't mind squeezing back there? :)

·
Registered
332 Posts
I'm not sure why this requires advanced mechanic skills to do. I've seen it done and it shouldn't talk you long to remove and install it.

But, do the back seats really weight 40 lbs? :headscratch: I haven't done this yet because I thought the weight reduction was very minimal.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
The rear seats don't weigh 40lbs.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
the rear seats don't weigh 40lbs. I've had mine out and they weigh next to nothing, you might actually add weight depending on what material the delet kit is made of. They are just using oldschool thinking just like they did with the TB spacer on the S197s

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So... i guess i should not remove my back seats unless i went to loaded it full of subs. And thanks for clearing up the 40lbs and how it does not need advanced skill's

·
Registered
294 Posts
I just bought the same delete kit from a guy on S197 forum. Haven't gotten it in yet but I could give you feedback before you buy one if you want to wait another week or so? I was told the backseat along with hardware is 30 something pounds.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
I just bought the same delete kit from a guy on S197 forum. Haven't gotten it in yet but I could give you feedback before you buy one if you want to wait another week or so? I was told the backseat along with hardware is 30 something pounds.

The combination of the seat and back portions and all of their hardware weigh around 35lbs.

The rear seat delete kit weighs less than 5lbs. It's a great choice if you don't drive with people in the back seat and you want to save some weight. The nice thing about it is that when you do remove the seats, this makes the interior look a lot cleaner than just having the exposed metal and hole to the trunk.

Granted, some people would say it is pointless, but if you are removing the seats, it definitely cleans up the interior and makes it look like you not only care about weight savings, but looking good at the same time!

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
If you want to save weight get a 1 piece aluminum driveshaft. That will give you a meaningful weight savings that will help with all aspects of your cars performance and you will still be able to carry 4 people in your car.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Race

I have seen it used for race only cars and the quarter window was ducted and the seat delete had the hoses mounted to it and then to the diff for cooling purposes. But it was a all out road racer.
The other was a 1/4 mile car it looked really clean.

T Wayne in Iraq

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
This is the alternative I choose for my car. When the seat is up it looks 100% stock and what you see is hidden by the seat nothing has to be removed. I did this because I don't like the pass through and the pass through should be solidly closed if you have the battery in the trunk like I do.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I was able to get my rear seat delete installed today. I like it a lot. It definitely gives the car a cleaner look. Im not much on having people packed into my car anyways.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
questions

I was able to get my rear seat delete installed today. I like it a lot. It definitely gives the car a cleaner look. Im not much on having people packed into my car anyways.
i just have 3 questions for u;
1) how much weigh do u loses since everyone has a different answer
2) were did you buy it?
3) how long did this take to install?

·
Registered
294 Posts
i just have 3 questions for u;
1) how much weigh do u loses since everyone has a different answer
2) were did you buy it?
3) how long did this take to install?
I am not sure but I will weigh the back seat and all the hardware this weekend and let you know. I bought it from a guy on S197forum, but he purchased it from American Muscle. It probably took me 15 minutes or so to install it, its very simple. Just pop out the seats then just a matter of unbolting a few mounting parts. Its a simple install. No matter what the weight reduction is, 30-40 lbs like most people are saying, it will still be less weight and definitely give you a clean look. Personally I like my car being a two seater now. Sure 40 lbs isn't substantial, but along with an aluminum driveshaft, no spare tire, and a Steeda lightweight radiator support, you are looking at close to 100lbs off of the car.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks for the info

I am not sure but I will weigh the back seat and all the hardware this weekend and let you know. I bought it from a guy on S197forum, but he purchased it from American Muscle. It probably took me 15 minutes or so to install it, its very simple. Just pop out the seats then just a matter of unbolting a few mounting parts. Its a simple install. No matter what the weight reduction is, 30-40 lbs like most people are saying, it will still be less weight and definitely give you a clean look. Personally I like my car being a two seater now. Sure 40 lbs isn't substantial, but along with an aluminum driveshaft, no spare tire, and a Steeda lightweight radiator support, you are looking at close to 100lbs off of the car.
Alright i will take that all into consideration, and thanks for responding so fast

·
Registered
294 Posts
Alright i will take that all into consideration, and thanks for responding so fast
No prob man. I've had it in for a day and I already love having it. Just a clean look in my opinion.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
No prob man. I've had it in for a day and I already love having it. Just a clean look in my opinion.
It all starts to add up, you are exactly right!

Also, think about it, the kit itself reduces close to 40lbs(including brackets/etc.) BUT it also reduces any chance of a person riding back there which is normally at least 100lbs+. so imagine if they are 200lbs, that is 240lbs weight savings!:bigthumbsup

Also, the look is a lot better than just bare rear area, it definitely does clean it up a ton!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts