Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone fabricated a rear seat delete for a Mustang II? I am almost finished making one for my 1976 Mustang II.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I'm deleting the rear seat in the Rat Snake, to make room for the rollbar. My plan is to just piece in carpet to match the rest of the floor, and maybe put a sub box in :smoke:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What are you going to do with the interior quarter panels? I used a flaking pair of panels and used razor blades to scrape off all of the loss plastic. Now the panels are down to fresh plastic again and then I cut out the arm rest and revited aluminum on the rear of the panel. Then I used fiberglass and smoothed out the missing piece and the same goes for the cut outs for the upper and lower seat belts. It's going to be covered with black vinyl.
I was just trying get some ideas to see if other have tried that.

·
Registered
337 Posts
The interior quarters will be used as-is. They are black and in good shape, so I don't want to chop them up. Because the Rat Snake is a T-top (and so far, NON-leaking!) car, the used rollbar I have is a bit too tall and wide, so I have to modify it anyway. I'm going to just cut to fit and triangulate/buttress as needed. As long as the bar clears my front seats, the roof, and the 1/4 panels, the rest is gravy :bigthumbsup

I'm a notoriously cheap SOB, so the whole car will probably never cost me more than its original list price from Ford. I've taken it to a couple of shows a few years back, but not to win any trophies.

·
Registered
8 Posts
covering rear panels

Hey JHS421... I like your idea of covering up the rear panels, any idea what you will use for adhesive? I own 2 mustang ii's with similar sunfade/rotting plastic issues. Also where will you buy the vinyl?
:?:

·
Registered
337 Posts
On most of the ones that we get recovered, the vinyl is glued on with a sprayed on contact cement, and the vinyl itself can be found at fabric stores or upholstery shops.

Quick tip: If you cover the panels in vinyl, trim the B-pillar trim, access doors (in hatchback models) and seat belt openings slightly and widen the rear tracks (also in hatchback models) to compensate for the additional thickness due to the vinyl wrapping.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts