Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 79 302 out of a crown vic and I'm trying to drop in my car... I took out the tranny so it would make this easier and Now the oil pan touched the cross member and steering rods... What should I do . Replacing the oil pan with the old front sump means a new oil pump and new dipstick location which means a new timing cover!!! Can I get another oil pan which will clear or can I just rearrange my crossmember and steering rod. What do you suggest. This is my first motor swap so I'm stuck.

·
Registered
913 Posts
You'll have to get the front sump and pickup tube (the pump is not required) and timing cover. If the timing cover you have has a blank, you can drill a 1/4" hole for the early style dipstick and tube. You can fix this in a few hours, and it'll look stock original, and work perfectly.

I guarantee trying to alter your steering gear, and removing the B crossmember will be a complete disaster.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
If you have your old engine just swap the parts over. Some of the timing covers actually had the hole for dipstick, just with a plug in it. If you're lucky there, swap pan and pickup tube like David posted.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts