Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 1995 mustang gt. the rear transmission seal was leaking, so i removed the driveshaft and replaced it. the slip yoke was also replaced because of worn flat spot. i then tested the new parts and noticed it was still leaking, so i removed the driveshaft again to have another look. when i slipped the yoke off the (27) spline of the transmission, fluid run out from around the boot of the new seal. do I have a internal seal or bushing that is in the tail housing that needs 2 b replaced, or is this a transmission rebuild project. i have 100,000 miles on the odometer. excessive vibration in the shifter. please help:headscratch:.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
i have a 1995 mustang gt. the rear transmission seal was leaking, so i removed the driveshaft and replaced it. the slip yoke was also replaced because of worn flat spot. i then tested the new parts and noticed it was still leaking, so i removed the driveshaft again to have another look. when i slipped the yoke off the (27) spline of the transmission, fluid run out from around the boot of the new seal. do I have a internal seal or bushing that is in the tail housing that needs 2 b replaced, or is this a transmission rebuild project. i have 100,000 miles on the odometer. excessive vibration in the shifter. please help:headscratch:.

The worn flat spot concerns me but the fluid does not. Often, when a dust seal is replaced, fluid will gather in the new seal and will leak out some until the excess is gone. In other words, excess fluid will gather in the "cup" portion of the new seal and will leak out as you drive. Usually, the excess is gone after about 25-30 miles of driving though. :scratchchin Is this the case with you?

The worn flat spot is not good. There is a bushing just inside the tail housing case where the rear dust seal was installed. A worn flat spot on the yoke indicates a vibrating driveshaft, especially if the witness marks are more prevalent on one side of the yoke. This would also explain your vibration. You need to figure out the cause of the vibration first, then fix that, replace the bushing and try it again.
A worn out bushing would cause the tranny to leak all the time, new seal or not so you're going to have to replace the bushing for sure at this point.

Can you describe the vibration? Is it speed related or rpm related? Is it present at say 65mph in 5th and in 4th or does it come on at a certain rpm range?

Richard
Tech Support
Tremec TKO, T45 & T56 Transmission Systems

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The worn flat spot concerns me but the fluid does not. Often, when a dust seal is replaced, fluid will gather in the new seal and will leak out some until the excess is gone. In other words, excess fluid will gather in the "cup" portion of the new seal and will leak out as you drive. Usually, the excess is gone after about 25-30 miles of driving though. :scratchchin Is this the case with you?

The worn flat spot is not good. There is a bushing just inside the tail housing case where the rear dust seal was installed. A worn flat spot on the yoke indicates a vibrating driveshaft, especially if the witness marks are more prevalent on one side of the yoke. This would also explain your vibration. You need to figure out the cause of the vibration first, then fix that, replace the bushing and try it again.
A worn out bushing would cause the tranny to leak all the time, new seal or not so you're going to have to replace the bushing for sure at this point.

Can you describe the vibration? Is it speed related or rpm related? Is it present at say 65mph in 5th and in 4th or does it come on at a certain rpm range?

Richard
Tech Support
the previous seal came out, noticed it on the driveshaft, discovered about when my vibration started. excessive wear on 1 side of yoke or overheated. discoloration, between 50 - 60mph worst vibration, no slipping, just leaking around RTS boot, little bit of play n spline. thanks

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
the previous seal came out, noticed it on the driveshaft, discovered about when my vibration started. excessive wear on 1 side of yoke or overheated. discoloration, between 50 - 60mph worst vibration, no slipping, just leaking around RTS boot, little bit of play n spline. thanks

Did anything change on the car prior to the vibration? Did you remove the transmission and/or driveshaft prior to the vibration? Can you still see the weight on the driveshaft tubing? Are you sure one or both of them didn't fall off?

If the yoke is as bad as I am picturing it, the bushing in the tail housing is in dire need of replacing. They are a PITA to replace as the tail has to come off and you'll need a press to get the old one out and the new one in. :so

Richard
Tech Support

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.