Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was under the car putting in the Steeda shifter bushings I saw a decent amount of fluid spun on the floor pan. My rear trans seal is leaking. Time to see the dealer.

Miles on car: 1,050

Rustang

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
Gig4Fun said:
When I was under the car putting in the Steeda shifter bushings I saw a decent amount of fluid spun on the floor pan. My rear trans seal is leaking. Time to see the dealer.

Rustang
That's awful early for a rear main to fail. Sounds like a mfg defect in the seal.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
stlwagon said:
That's awful early for a rear main to fail. Sounds like a mfg defect in the seal.
I suggest you re-read my post! Convention has it that the reference to a rear main seal is the last seal on the crank bearing in an engine agains the crankshaft and oil pan.... I said the rear trans seal. It is the transmission not the engine. It is the seal around the output shafts yoke (where the driveshaft begins). I have a stick shift transmission too.
Oh yeah ~ I would be screamming and yelling if it were the rear main in the engine!:sterb:

·
Registered
897 Posts
If I am understanding you correctly. It is the transmission output shaft seal which failed.

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
Gig4Fun said:
I suggest you re-read my post! Convention has it that the reference to a rear main seal is the last seal on the crank bearing in an engine agains the crankshaft and oil pan.... I said the rear trans seal. It is the transmission not the engine. It is the seal around the output shafts yoke (where the driveshaft begins). I have a stick shift transmission too.
Oh yeah ~ I would be screamming and yelling if it were the rear main in the engine!:sterb:
My bad... That's still mighty early for any seal to fail. Let us know what the service dept tells you.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thump_rrr said:
If I am understanding you correctly. It is the transmission output shaft seal which failed.
Almost it's that, but really it is the seal againt the yoke of the driveshaft. The output shafts splines engage the yoke and see no "outside the case" atmosphere. The yoke on the other hand requires a seal because its ground surface (outside diameter) is both inside and outside of the transmission case. I know if I went to the parts counter and asked for an output shaft seal I would get the right part :eyepoppin

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
stlwagon said:
Ummm, yeah... check under the hood latch for the culprit.. lol

- Just kidding:sterb:

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Waxed'05 GT said:
Ummm, yeah... check under the hood latch for the culprit.. lol

- Just kidding:sterb:
How far under the latch? Hahaha (still looking)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Seal leak

Have you done anything which changes the angle or correct slipage in the driveshaft or tension on the driveshaft that would have jammed things up in anyway. Did the pinion angle change? The dealership may say you are sol because you blew the warrenty? Think about it. Is there any other damage to the undercarriage? A buddy changed rims and tire sizes and the dealership showed him the door. Good luck. Let us know what the dealership says. My dealership is open today for repairs and service.

Jess

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jess said:
Have you done anything which changes the angle or correct slipage in the driveshaft or tension on the driveshaft that would have jammed things up in anyway. Did the pinion angle change? The dealership may say you are sol because you blew the warrenty? Think about it. Is there any other damage to the undercarriage? A buddy changed rims and tire sizes and the dealership showed him the door. Good luck. Let us know what the dealership says. My dealership is open today for repairs and service.

Jess
I hear ya! Nope all stock stuff under there. I didn't even hit anything or take the driveshaft off.

Wow what did he need that he was turned away because of his rims/tires?

Called my dealer yesterday. It is scheduled for Thursday. I will followup here after the visit.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Jess said:

Jess
Even if there was a pinion angle change it shouldn't affect the transmission end since it's a 2 piece driveshaft.

·
Registered
599 Posts
You guys that are getting the runaround from your dealers need to get the number for your regional ford office, or the number for customer service of off the ford web site. Ford is in almost as much dodo as gm. The local dealer may want to treat a 20k to 35k customer like crap, but let me promise you that the people that make things happen at ford wont let them get away with it. Sorry for the rant, and hijacking the thread, just needed to vent.:smoke:

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hogpowr said:
You guys that are getting the runaround from your dealers need to get the number for your regional ford office, or the number for customer service of off the ford web site. Ford is in almost as much dodo as gm. The local dealer may want to treat a 20k to 35k customer like crap, but let me promise you that the people that make things happen at ford wont let them get away with it. Sorry for the rant, and hijacking the thread, just needed to vent.:smoke:
You always got good things to say. No apoligy needed! Good input.

Yep, them dealers all are different. In my area of the 4 Ford dealers here I only respect 1 of them.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update >>>

Last week the dealer had it in to see it on their lift and take down numbers and order parts.

Today it was in for the repair. After sitting in the waiting room watching Dr. Phil and Opra (there a while) they come and got me and said they had the wrong seal and I needed to come back when they could figure out what they needed.
They honestly do not know the seal number.... Does anyone have a service guide or something to get a number for it? It is the rear trans seal, it seals over the yoke of the driveshaft. Stick shift GT.
I told them I always got the numbers off the old seal (visible without pulling it out) but they said it was a different number and couldn't be used in that way.
Anyone know it?

Thank you.

Gig4Fun said:

Rustang

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have no clue but the same thing happened to my car and they replaced it if I can get a copy of the repair again to see if the Part # is there I will let you know. Plus now my seal on the rear of my driveshaft is leaking, PAIN IN THE BUT my warranty was up 2 weeks ago... Any ideas on how easy it is...?

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
I have no clue but the same thing happened to my car and they replaced it if I can get a copy of the repair again to see if the Part # is there I will let you know. Plus now my seal on the rear of my driveshaft is leaking, PAIN IN THE BUT my warranty was up 2 weeks ago... Any ideas on how easy it is...?
The pinion seal is leaking?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.