Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
hello all,
i have a 1989 mustang gt that i need to replace the bushings on the rear upper control arms. can anyone tell me if i can do this myself of have to take it to a tech . if i can do it myself please tell me how . iam a pretty good r+r person.
:bigthumbsup

THANKS

·
Registered
504 Posts
You can do it yourself pretty easily. Jack the car up and support it, and then there's only 4 bolts, 2 on each control arm. One goes to the frame and the other goes to the axle.
You may want to support the frame of the car on jack stands so you have some movement of the rear axle (you'll need to support that too), but I'll let you figure that out when you're in there.

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
Since you're a pretty good R&R guy, you can do this. Like he said, just 2 bolts for each arm. Support the frame on jackstands, and then put a jack under the rear end so you can use that to raise or lower the rear end to take tension off the arms so you can take them off and put them back.

Be a good time to inspect the pinion snubber while you're right there.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Do them one at a time. If you take them both out at the same time, the axle will rotate then you're in trouble.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I don't know what kind of budget you are working with, but if you have some extra cash you might as well put in a new set of trailing arms, like the hotchkis or even ford motorsport ones. I put the hotchkis adjustable uppers and solid lowers in my stang about a year ago and it helped a ton with wheel hop on launches and over all ride is much more firm. But anywho, it really isn't to hard of a job to do if you just switch the bushings, I think it might of taken me half a day to replace all four of mine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.