Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my car today for window tint and the rear window looks nasty.. The top of the rear window has those little dots from the defroster and i guess the tint doesn't stick in that area so it looks white.. Does any one know how to fix my tint problem im thinking on taking it back..

·
Registered
100 Posts
if you just got it today then those bubbles are common. To be on the safe side just take it to the shop you got it done from and ask them about it. Or you can wait a couples days and it should receed.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
If you got good quality tint the white will fade a bit; wait a few days (after the tint's dried out) and on a hot day you can lightly rub (key word "lightly") with a dampened microfibre cloth to work the tint against the glass between the dots so that it isn't as noticeable.

Unfortunately it won't go away completely; all tints have a lighter shade around those dots ...

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Tint sticks to flat surfaces, the ceramic dot matrix is always an issue with most vehicles as they are a raised edge around the glass. In a few days go over the area with your finger and it should lay down, otherwise it is a common problem. Do you know what brandd of film was applied? Also of you have your antenna in your rear glass you cannot have a metallic film or you could lose radio reception.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tanx for all ur help guys, i will try to go over it with dampened microfibre cloth in a couple days im going to let it dry i bit more. I don't know what brand the film was, I got 20% all around and its not a metallic film cuz those cost more.. lol if any one has anymore advise i will be glad to hear it.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I'm a tinter so feel free to ask questions

·
Registered
66 Posts
Tanx for all ur help guys, i will try to go over it with dampened microfibre cloth in a couple days im going to let it dry i bit more. I don't know what brand the film was, I got 20% all around and its not a metallic film cuz those cost more.. lol if any one has anymore advise i will be glad to hear it.
Im guessing ur talking about an 02? Well if you are i know your feeling about the back window, i have 20% all the way around to, i tried the methods stated here with very little success. The guy that tinted my car said best bet is to use a piece of black vinyl i think? For the top were the dots are. I haven't tried it so i cant really tell you how it looks or works.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Im guessing ur talking about an 02? Well if you are i know your feeling about the back window, i have 20% all the way around to, i tried the methods stated here with very little success. The guy that tinted my car said best bet is to use a piece of black vinyl i think? For the top were the dots are. I haven't tried it so i cant really tell you how it looks or works.:bigthumbsup
Yes it is an 02 and i also have 20% around. The tint is good around the car except on the top rear window, when i roll my windows down i hear the tint flapping with the wind on the top corners where the tint isn't sticking.. i think vinyl would be good but you have to spend more $$$.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm a tinter so feel free to ask questions

Ok so my question is what can i do to make the tint stick to the top rear window were the matrix dots are, I have a 2002 mustang with 20% all around i don't know what brand tint they used. I heard vinyl is a solution but i have to spend more $$.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Get some Elmer's glue that dries clear. Pull back the top, put glue on the dot matrix, then use a hard card wrapped in a paper towel and put it back up by running the hard card front the glass line up to the top. This might also fill in the dot matrix as well.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Get some Elmer's glue that dries clear. Pull back the top, put glue on the dot matrix, then use a hard card wrapped in a paper towel and put it back up by running the hard card front the glass line up to the top. This might also fill in the dot matrix as well.

I took your advise i bought Elmer's Utral Six All Clear Glue is this the kind of glue you were taking about? By a hard card do you mean like a credit card or something wrapped in paper towel or microfiber cloth.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Yeah that might work, I use a gold bondo card for this application.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah that might work, I use a gold bondo card for this application.

I just finish gluing the tint i used a regular credit card wrapped it in microfiber cloth and the tint did stick, But it looks like globbs from the outside i went over like a couple times the glue instructions say it takes 72hr to cure for maximum strength, do you think the globbs will go away or is it going to stay like that?

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Globs, was it a glue bottle or a stick? You have to go slow and hard to get it to adhere. I just used some on a grand am today, .25 a tube with the back to school sales.since it is the dot matrix you can remove it with a stainless steel razor blade otherwise try to tack it down again one the glue becomes tacky.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Globs, was it a glue bottle or a stick? You have to go slow and hard to get it to adhere. I just used some on a grand am today, .25 a tube with the back to school sales.since it is the dot matrix you can remove it with a stainless steel razor blade otherwise try to tack it down again one the glue becomes tacky.

It came in like a tube like crazy glue. So you used the tube one. al try to take a pic tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Yeah I use a glue stick, get that crap off of the glass with some a acetone.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah I use a glue stick, get that crap off of the glass with some a acetone.

Acetone doesn't that mess up the tint? so take it off, i hope it doesnt stick so i can take it off tomorrow.. So you used simple tube glue and that stuff works isn't it weak?

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Ammonia is the only thing that will mess up window tint, acetone can hurt the hard layer (scratch resistant coating) on the tint, as long as you dont slosh it around you should be fine. The tube glue is not weak once it bonds with the tint and the glass. Another option would be to cut the tint off below the dot matrix and paint the glass on the inside with some quality paint.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ammonia is the only thing that will mess up window tint, acetone can hurt the hard layer (scratch resistant coating) on the tint, as long as you dont slosh it around you should be fine. The tube glue is not weak once it bonds with the tint and the glass. Another option would be to cut the tint off below the dot matrix and paint the glass on the inside with some quality paint.
I'm going to try the glue again, so clean the glass with sum acetone and then glue it back on.. question how do i apply the acetone with a rag and just scrub a little and how long do i let it dry? and can you tell me the specific glue you used. Do I clean the inside of the tint with something?
Tanx for all you help man

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Yes clean the back window again and then take some acetone on a rag and clean the dot matrix again. Acetone will evaporate very quickly, once it does you can use your elmers glue stick to put all over the matrix. Then you use a hard card wrapped in a paper towels press the window film into the dot matrix. Any elmers glue stick will work, you want the 1 that dries clear. Give it a few hours to dry then go over the seam of the window film with glue.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts