Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we have a local shop here, but i didnt know if you can get a flywheel rebalanced?

i need a 50oz rebalanced to 28oz

its a stock 5.0 flywheel from a 87-93 car, and it was resurfaced a few months ago and has just been sitting

i thought i would try and use it on my 351 car

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
we have a local shop here, but i didnt know if you can get a flywheel rebalanced?

its a stock 5.0 flywheel from a 87-93 car, and it was resurfaced a few months ago and has just been sitting

I think it's going to depend on how it was balanced in the first place? The flywheel's we sell, all have 3/8" holes drilled into them to remove material to achieve the proper counter balance. I have seen some flywheel's that actually have a weight bolted to them or even welded to them to achieve said balance.

If your 50oz F/W is like the ones we have where holes are drilled into them, I don't see how they can turn a 50oz into a 28oz? :scratchchin
The 50oz will have more holes drilled into it verses the 28oz.

If it is the type that has weight bolted or welded to it, then yes, it can be re-balanced. :bigthumbsup

Is the 351 motor from the '60's or 70's? If so, then it is a 28oz counter balance. If it is 1979 or newer, it is a 50oz just like the 5.0 :bigthumbsup

Richard
Tech Support
Tremec TKO, T45 & T56 Transmission Systems

·
Registered
621 Posts

I've had that done. It requires a lot of machining and they have to know what they are doing. The place that did it for me vowed to never do it again, and I did too! But it can be done.

Tom

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I've had that done. It requires a lot of machining and they have to know what they are doing. The place that did it for me vowed to never do it again, and I did too! But it can be done.

Tom

Was your flywheel like the one I described in that the holes were drilled into it to achieve the balance? How in the world did they re-do that? :scratchchin Just curious. :hihi:

Richard
Tech Support
Tremec TKO, T45 & T56 Transmission Systems

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so if its 79 or newer its 50oz :)
i didnt even know that

thanks, ill look into that.

·
Registered