Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys im wanting to get my 96 mustang gt motor rebuilt there is a shop down the road that will do it but i hear alot of bad stuff about them so anyone here live around south west virginia that would knows a shop that knows alot about ford motors

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
Make sure if you get ANY work done to the block, that they use a torque plate, even when honing the engine. Most local places don't even have a torque plate for the 4.6, so they'll B.S. you and then your engine will burn oil and smoke, and not last very long because they didn't. The 4.6 is very very very very sensitive to distortion with the heads bolted on, so if you don't use a torque plate, the holes end up not being perfectly round once you torque the heads on.

Honestly though, with a 1996, I would go ahead and buy a good condition used engine from a 1999-2004 GT and swap it in there. There's about a real world 60rwhp difference between them, and it'll be cheaper in the longrun than rebuilding a less desirable, '96 engine.

·
Banned
950 Posts
he speaks the trufe

Make sure if you get ANY work done to the block, that they use a torque plate, even when honing the engine. Most local places don't even have a torque plate for the 4.6, so they'll B.S. you and then your engine will burn oil and smoke, and not last very long because they didn't. The 4.6 is very very very very sensitive to distortion with the heads bolted on, so if you don't use a torque plate, the holes end up not being perfectly round once you torque the heads on.

Honestly though, with a 1996, I would go ahead and buy a good condition used engine from a 1999-2004 GT and swap it in there. There's about a real world 60rwhp difference between them, and it'll be cheaper in the longrun than rebuilding a less desirable, '96 engine.

·
Registered
413 Posts
pm

PM me, I know I guy here local near Charleston that builds nothing but race engines, You would have to bring him the motor and not the car though, The last time I talked with him about my 4V he told me 750.00 labor.

He is pretty sharp, builds 300HP to 1500+ motors.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.