Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,
since its winter time again. i disided to rebuild a motor while my stang is sittin. i was wondering what bolts i must replace? i assume the rod bolts after i get the rods reconditioned. and... should i replace the head bolts as well? or is there more that i need to get?
also i was wondering if any one has any suggestions on what is a good timing set?
one more thing whats your oppinion on the summit rering kits? is that a good idea or should i buy the rings,gaskets,bearings, ect. individually. any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
anyone have advice?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Back when I was still at a Community College taking (and later teaching) auto classes , I had access to a full machine shop. I built up several motors there, using kits from PAW. Other than stuff that was never in stock (they wouldn't tell you until a week after the order either) I never had any problems with their stuff. You are definitely going to get a better deal by buying the gaskets and such as a set, just make sure it is name brand, like Felpro or such. As far a timing chain, make sure to use a name brand double roller.

·
Registered
83 Posts
By the way, I just noticed your location and name, and if you are from Elgin Ill, ECC has an auto program, but I don't know about the machine shop facilities. I used to live in St. Charles, and went to Waubonsee for Auto Tecj, and they have an awesome machine shop progam. I was able to do all my own machine work except for Line boring cams and balancing. You can really save some money nad make sure it is all done correctly by doing it yourself.

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
Never reuse headbolts. They do stretch and are Torque to Yield bolts. You need to replace them everytime you headswap or you are asking for trouble.

ARP makes a good replacement set for about $30-35

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
black06, i actually grew up in elgin, but moved to chicago for work after college. for machine work ill prolly run it over to DSS since they are right in St. Charles. and i know they obviously do quality work and specialize in mustangs.
ghost dog, i also have to get new rod bolts from ARP right? so just head and rod bolts?
thanks guys

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks guys

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.