Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have recently found that my engine is knocking a little bit. I plan on taking it all apart and replacing all the gaskets and bearings. Can anyone point me to where I can get a complete engine rebuild kit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I’m currently looking for anyone who might be able to point me in the right direction. I’m currently trying to completely rebuild my engine due to some knocking noises. If anyone can help that would be most appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
1,513 Posts
Welcome to AFM!

I don’t have the information you’re looking for, but hopefully someone will chime in soon to help you with that.

·
Registered
140 Posts
A good source to check is Classic Inlines. They specialize in the Ford 144/170/200/250 family of Inline 6 engines. They have a lot of helpful tips, and also guidance if you're looking for a little more than stock performance while you have it apart. Parts are also still reasonably easily sourced thru the chain parts stores, NPD, or Rock Auto.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
IMHO, I am not a real big fan of rebuild kits for most engines.... as many times they may have a few real quality parts but most of the time it is of the "lower end".... IMHO, it is best to tear the engine down, see what you need (including machine work- very likely) and then visit a good local machine shop.. one that has been around a long time!!! They will know 1st hand which mfg still has good quality parts (versus the ones that have been bought out and selling 'junk" under their name) and can get you all the other items you need such as gasket kits, etc. at a better price that what you could likely get at the 'chain" (ie junk) auto part stores.

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
IMHO, I am not a real big fan of rebuild kits for most engines.... as many times they may have a few real quality parts but most of the time it is of the "lower end".... IMHO, it is best to tear the engine down, see what you need (including machine work- very likely) and then visit a good local machine shop.. one that has been around a long time!!! They will know 1st hand which mfg still has good quality parts (versus the ones that have been bought out and selling 'junk" under their name) and can get you all the other items you need such as gasket kits, etc. at a better price that what you could likely get at the 'chain" (ie junk) auto part stores.
This. Buying a kit and reassembling without machining, balancing and verifying clearances is just going to cause you tremendous heartache and financial pain. Many reputable builders won't even touch an engine that has undergone this "process" and then failed. "Do it right, do it once."

1 - 6 of 6 Posts