Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I'm looking to rering my 4.6 engine. Its been burning a bit of oil and I want to rering it. I was wondering if anybody knows where I could find a good rering kit with the gaskets included? Also does anybody know roughly what it would cost for labor? I'm looking to rebuild to stock. Any help would be greatly be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Check summitracing out. There is a lot of places online to order stuff from. Your local parts store may even have a rebuild kit. Other options are also available. Finding a decent priced low mile motor local or on ebay. As far as labor on the rebuild you would have to find someone who does it and ask them. Prices vary from areas and it also can help if you know someone.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
You should be able to find good rings locally at an engine rebuilder's warehouse or the like, but I wouldn't just rering it, unless it has very low miles, there will be other things in there that will likely need attention as much as the rings.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also it only has 150k miles. It smokes only when I take off hard from a stop and after it has run for a while. It has a bit of a ticking sound but I wanna say its an exhaust leak.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Ticking sound could be a few things. I would just advise doing it the right way and doing a complete rebuild of the motor. Also we don't have lifters we have lash adjusters. Injectors make a ticking sound and with stock injectors it can normally only be heard with your head under the hood. That's why I mentioned a used motor with lower miles. My moto if you do something do it right! So if you tear this motor apart and only do rings then why bother putting the same ole bearings, timing chain assembley, and everything else back in? Just look around at complete rebuild kits (I would suggest a bore and it be 20 over if that trues everything up well) with pistons and all. Get with a shop and see what they would charge to do it all for unless you can do some yourself.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I took it to a shop today and he said that oil burning was most likely rings and valve seals. He said to get the rering kit and they could do all the labor for 2k. I would love to get a total rebuild but at that rate may as well go to a bigger engine. I only make 8 bucks an hour so I gotta budget it. Lol

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
I would just let it ride for now and try to look into local machine shops, see what you can get a rebuild for. The effort of pulling the motor and tearing it down... might as well do it right, hot tank it, have it checked, clean up the cylinders, new bearings, rings, seals, tensioners, etc. Head job. It'll probably cost around $4k (a guess), but then you'll have a new engine with better internals and no worries.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I'm thinking about doing that. I would like to put a mild cam in it as well. Any recommendations for a good cam? All I'm looking to do to car is a cold air, new plenum, and a new exhaust with o2 sensor delete.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also does the machine shop do all this or a mechanic? The place I took it to is a performance place. They build race engines as well as normal mechanical work.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Ask them but from the sounds they will probably do just about anything you want.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts