Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

First comes the confession. I do not drive a Mustang. My track days car is a 68 Cougar. I hope that is close enough to avoid ridicule. :yup:

What is the best performing road track suspension? Leaf? 3-Link? 4-Link? I can invest up to about $3K, so I think an IRS is out.

I have been leaning towards a triagulated 4 Link like TCP, but my internet browsings are casting doubts in my mind.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
If it were my car, I'd be looking at a 3-link first, with maybe a torque arm second. For a triangulated 4-link, the details matter more, and without knowing the geometry of any specific kit it would be wrong to comment either favorably or adversely.

But the short story is that with the 3-link, the straight line stuff (anti-squat, launch bite) can be sorted mostly separate from the cornering stuff (roll center height, axle roll steer). IOW, you don't have to hurt one aspect as much as you help the other.

Very good results have been obtained with variations on the triangulated 4-link. To my knowledge, the better ones for corner-carving locate the upper control arm axle side pivots relatively low on the axle assembly (only a little above the axle center height, rather than at the top of the pumpkin like the stock tri-4-link arrangement is on the Fox/SN95/most GM coil sprung axle cars). I think one of the magazines ran a tri 4-link vs 3-link a while back. Pretty sure it was on a Camaro, but the general observations and conclusions would hold regardless.

Currently, I'm driving a 2008 Mustang, but before that I drove a '79 GM intermediate (that was tweaked in the suspension and with the wheel/tire packages for corner-carving).

Norm

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Norm.

After reading your post I looked at some of the kits I have found online. One has the upper arm pivots at the top of the pumpkin, (MC Motorsports), on tabs slightly above the axel tube (TCP), and lastly on the side of the tube on the horizontal centerline (Control Freaks). So I guess that all positions are available. I will consider your suggestion.

I did Google 3 vs 4 link and found a YouTube video where they did both on a Camaro with reasonable equal results on a slalom and skid pad test. Were you thinking of that?

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I think it did get video coverage, just that I'm a lot more likely to see things in printed magazines along with the text.

There are subtle differences in "feel" even though the hard numbers are pretty close, and there was probably a bit of tweaking left that might have made the differences more apparent.

Happy New Year's in about T minus 4.

Norm

1 - 4 of 4 Posts