Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 GT

I have already added a BBK CAI, 4.10 gears

I was thinking of replacing the entire exhaust but after reading alot of threads here it seems most replace the H/X pipe and/or from the catback but
not the stock headers as well.

Are the stock headers good?
Is replacing the h/x pipe and catback the best thing to do first?

Any recommendations for headers, H/X pipe and catback?

Can I mix and match different manufacturers?

Also I found a TB 70mm from BBK with Penglem for 299.99, has anyone heard of this?

·
Registered
26 Posts
The most common mods are mid pipe and cat back system, x or h pipe is up to you, the big difference is sound, you can go to mustangexhaust.com and hear some clips.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
The stock headers are very good as far as shorty's go. Long tubes of course will make more power, but there's a HUGE drawback. They are an absolute beast to install because the clearances are pretty tight in the engine compartment. Most people find it easier to go ahead and loosen the motor mounts and rock the engine over to one side or the other as they complete the work. To answer your other questions, yes you can mix and match manufacturers to get the sound you want. It's a pretty popular thing actually. I love the way my Mac system sounds, real deep and it absolutely roars at WOT. The 70mm throttle body is a good mod also. I'm confused on what a Penglem is. If you mean a Plenum, then yes, that is another good mod. Both are easy to install and you can do both at the same time in about 40 minutes provided you have the right hand tools and a little bit of knowledge. I would second the recommendation of checking out www.mustangexhaust.com to get an idea of how different combos sound.

·
Registered
98 Posts
on my 01 GT i installed bbk shorty headers myself and it was a huge pain and the headers are garbage. but i did feel a nice power gain. right now i have the stock h-pipe but i put a borla stinger cat back on and it sounds amazing. borla is a little pricey but it is well worth it. i really dont know why i haven't put an x pipe on yet. but i would suggest going with the mid pipe and cat back first. and then if you still are looking for a little something else then go with headers.

·
Registered
12 Posts
green 01 said:
on my 01 GT i installed bbk shorty headers myself and it was a huge pain and the headers are garbage. but i did feel a nice power gain. right now i have the stock h-pipe but i put a borla stinger cat back on and it sounds amazing. borla is a little pricey but it is well worth it. i really dont know why i haven't put an x pipe on yet. but i would suggest going with the mid pipe and cat back first. and then if you still are looking for a little something else then go with headers.
i agree. you'd get more power n/a with long tubes than shortys. shortys have a big advantage. much easier to change a clutch or torqe converter.
i'd go with vrs or dr. gas if i was on the market for a mid pipe.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
If you evern think you're going to switch from stock style short tube headers to long tubes then hold off on the mid pipe. If you change mid pipes before changing headers you'll have to buy another midpipe for the whole thing to work.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Check out the threads about the pro chamber, there are about three of them going right now. I'm debating catbacks now myself. I'm not touching the headers until I work the heads due to the mega hassle factor.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
The stock exhaust manifolds flow OK but you can do better. The reason a lot of people don't change them is because the install of headers is a royal pain in the rear. Most of the shorty headers don't make enough power to make the swap worth the effort. Long tubes make great power but the swap is highly involved. Headers should be one of the last bolt-ons you do.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.