Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there!

It's been a while I don't drive my 2013 V6 Performance Package Mustang. The battery seems to be totally dead and the car won't start unless I give it a boost.

I have no idea what is the recommended battery to replace the OEM one. Is there a battery that you would recommend?

Thanks much in advance!

-S

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I replaced mines with a Duracell from Sam's club. Just make sure the one you get meets the OEM specs.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I got a replacement group 96r battery from Walmart (their house brand) for less than $100.

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
yeah I go with Wal-Mart batteries these days too . . . I could never tell any real difference with the more expensive batteries and Walmart usually has what I need on the shelf . . . just make sure it matches the full size code correctly so you get the right size and post set-up; and make sure it provides the original capacity or more (most of them do).

I guess there are "better" batteries out there but like I said I can't tell the difference.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
My factory battery lasted for around 7 1/2 years. I went to my local Ford dealer and bought one. I think it was $150 with tax and they installed it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I use batteries from parts shops, autozone. Orielly. Walmart v parts shops I can hear a difference in the fuel pump and window motors. They seem to run a bit slower and the batteries don't last as long.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for your prompt responses. I really appreciate it!

I've been doing some research and it seems that the Motorcraft Battery Group Size 96R is a good option given that I believe matches the part number for the mustang but I haven't able to find it in stock anywhere :D

It seems that as long as the specs are similar 96R, similar amps, etc, I should be good. If I can't find it, I will simply buy one of the other brands like the Duracell one recommended.

Thanks!

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
. . . and it seems that the Motorcraft Battery Group Size 96R is a good option given that I believe matches the part number for the mustang but I haven't able to find it in stock anywhere . . .

that is very strange; pretty sure it is a common size and I'd be very surprised if your local Walmart doesn't have at least two of them on the shelf .... but I'm also pretty sure I was wrong once before so this could be the second time ;-)

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
I was an AC delco guy for decades but they were sold off to interstate and that mfg is overseas in the land of junk (imho)...I have been using motorcraft… in the new cars, I get 5+ years out of them...my old school stuff...8-10 years.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Thank you all for your prompt responses. I really appreciate it!

I've been doing some research and it seems that the Motorcraft Battery Group Size 96R is a good option given that I believe matches the part number for the mustang but I haven't able to find it in stock anywhere :D

It seems that as long as the specs are similar 96R, similar amps, etc, I should be good. If I can't find it, I will simply buy one of the other brands like the Duracell one recommended.

Thanks!
If your local Ford dealer doesn't have shelves full of batteries that fit your Mustang, I sure as hell wouldn't let them touch my Mustang. Just saying...……...

·
Registered
665 Posts
I got 6 years from the OEM battery. I was going to get a replacement from Costco, but they would have had to special order the size I needed with an associated 3-day wait. I had a discount coupon for a another OEM battery, so just ended up doing that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
I use batteries from parts shops, autozone. Orielly. Walmart v parts shops I can hear a difference in the fuel pump and window motors. They seem to run a bit slower and the batteries don't last as long.
Got proof of that, or do you always Slander a company because you can.
Walmart and all the Parts stores get their batteries from 1 of 3 Manufactures, that is basically if for battery Manufacturers in the US. You buy a cheap battery from anyone it is only going to last 3 years and if you say the fuel pump and windows are slower you have bigger issues since those work fine off my Lawn Mower battery.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I got my last battery at NAPA and called it good. Came with a 72 month pro-rated warranty, which doesn't mean much to me. I replace my battery every 3 years, the Arizona heat kills them pretty quick.

·
Registered
130 Posts
What ever you decide i recommend investing in a "Smart Trickle charger ". I keep all my vehicles that are not daily drivers on smart chargers. C-Tek or Battery Tender are quality products. My 65 is using a Auto Zone Duralast Gold battery . Going on 6 years out of this battery with no issue.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What ever you decide i recommend investing in a "Smart Trickle charger ". I keep all my vehicles that are not daily drivers on smart chargers. C-Tek or Battery Tender are quality products. My 65 is using a Auto Zone Duralast Gold battery . Going on 6 years out of this battery with no issue.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Thank you for the tip! Very interesting... It seems that you have to have the charger plugged in all the time, right? If that is the case, that's not an option for me since I don't own a house with a garage. I wonder if a solution would be to simply disconnect the negative connector of the battery? Would that make the battery last longer and not drain?

EDIT: BTW, thank you all of you for your responses. I ended up calling the closest Ford Autonation and as one of you said, they are loaded with batteries for my mustang. I don't know why I didn't think on that option (facepalm). The price of the battery for a "Ford original battery" is around $130 which is pretty much inline with the prices that I've seen for some of the brands recommended in this thread.

Thanks!
-S

·
Registered
11 Posts
Go to Ford and get the Motorcraft OEM battery. Those are easily the best and just about the same price as
the Walmart or Cosco junk. Motorcraft batteries are all I use in my Mustang and F-150. I live in NH and the OEM
battery will last me 10 years in my daily driver F-150 (2001).

·
Registered
78 Posts
My F-150 original battery only lasted 7 years. The battery in my 2013 Mustang GT that I bought in 2017 only lasted about 18 months because I kept a USB thingy in the cigarette lighter plug over the winter where I didn't drive it for 3 months.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts