Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66' Mustang coupe
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 66 Mustang and it needs a new engine. It originally had a 289, C code. I definitely want to beef it up, but trying to keep it around 10k. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Also any things to consider that I may not be thinking of. Thank you in advance!

·
Super Moderator
2,766 Posts
Welcome to ALLFORDMUSTANGS!
Please read the Site Rules and be sure to complete your Account Settings.
We’re glad you’ve joined us.

Reactions: NOPRS

·
Registered
165 Posts
Can you pull and reinstall the engine yourself? If so just find a good shop that will rebuild yours for you. Use the 289 block and have it stroked to 331 Appx $1,100 go .030" over, a set of WP Jr heads assembled, mild hyd cam, no more the .430 lift 215 dur @ .050" lift, $1,500, Holley 600, Pref RPm manifold, ARP main, rod, head bolts, gaskets, good set of headers 1 5/8" pri. 3" collector, good ignition system, aluminum radiator and WP. New motor mounts, high stall convertor, if auto. A few dress up items and your labor, You'd probably still be $5K-$6K. Machine work and labor will cost the most.
But you'll know that the engine fits because it came out of there.

By the way, what neck of the woods are you in? It helps so people can recommend someone that can do this for you or help you. If you live close enough to me, I have engine hoist, engine stand, all the tools needed, machine shop in town, Summit racing an hour drive away. And nothing to do since I'm retired. Would love to help.

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 Ruby Red GT, 1966 Silver Blue Coupe
677 Posts
I have a 66 Mustang and it needs a new engine. It originally had a 289, C code. I definitely want to beef it up, but trying to keep it around 10k. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Also any things to consider that I may not be thinking of. Thank you in advance!
It really depends on what your performance goals are. When you say beef it up are we talking just mildy upgraded or street racer?

Often times its worth while to just swap the motor for a later model 302 instead of rebuilding the stock 289. You get better internals from the get go and don't have to worry about potential issues with stroking the motor. Plus the cost shouldn't be much different.

·
Registered
7,416 Posts
It really depends on what your performance goals are. When you say beef it up are we talking just mildy upgraded or street racer?

Often times its worth while to just swap the motor for a later model 302 instead of rebuilding the stock 289. You get better internals from the get go and don't have to worry about potential issues with stroking the motor. Plus the cost shouldn't be much different.
Maybe just get a short block so you can purchase your own set of “good” cylinder heads.

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
Powertrain has a very good reputation, Jasper, stay away from!!!!!!!

IMHO, if you can rebuild your's you are $ and quality ahead!!! Otherwise, a good local engine builder/machine shop is typically the best.... and yeah, machine shops are like doctors..... 50% are just ok, 25% should have never been given a license, 15% are still learning or charging "Gold+ 10%", and about 10% are the good ones

·
Registered
165 Posts
Crate engine have their place. One big problem with them is shipping. Then you play parts swapping to fit your car. Another, and this is a big issue to me, you don't know who and how they put it together. Some are great people, some are monkey see, monkey do. I put mine together so I know what's in there.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts