Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the question of which type and brand of oil is one of personal choice, but im interested in what everyone is running in their classics. My 289 was rebuilt about 30k ago, im using 10w-40 right now everything seems to be good. What are your feelings about using synthetic oil in these classics? Im thinking about going to Mobil 1 maybe 15w50. Let me know what your using and whats worked best.:)

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I use Castrol 10w-40 in my stock 68 289. It's what I have been using the past 10 years now that I've owned the car.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Hehe...I use Valvoline 5W-50 racing oil...I'd use Mobil 1, but they don't have it in that weight at Autozone. I've got a fairly built motor, though.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I use Mobil 1 full synth, but as long as you change the oil regularly you won't see a big difference between synth and dino lube. Most synthetics have really good cleaning agents, and they may clean away deposits in old seals. This sometimes leads to oil leaks. If you're running regular 10-40w and change regularly then I'd stick with it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Help needed on 65 mustang vin

Does anyone know how to tell exactly when my 65 mustang was made? I am missing the door tag and have figured out most of it. This is what I have so far for vin 5F07C637050.

65 mustang coupe (body type 65A), made in Dearborn MI (F), 2v 289 (C). I also figured out original color is Springtime yellow (V code), the DSO is most likely 21 for Atlanta, Georgia since the car lived in Georgia it's whole life, The transmission is automatic (code 6) drive 1 starts in first and drive 2 starts in second, and the trim may be a code 76. It really looks like nothing has ever been touched on this car but the interior is black vinyl with black soft cloth/fabric in the middle. Not the usual all vinyl or pony. It has the tiny stitching like the original interiors had and it is coming apart at one seam on the drivers seat and one in the back seat. Has anyone ever seen this kind of interior? I can't find a picture of what the 1965 mustang code 76 interior looks like.
Thanks.

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Hello.:) :welcome: I use Mobil1. 20W50 most of the year and 5W30 for the 5 or 6 days that it gets cold around here.:)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cool, cool. thanks for the fast response everyone i really appreciate it. i think im going to stick to using regular 10w-40 castrol. since as ieatdrt said about the cleaning agents in syn. oil causing leaks around old seals. i would rather not aggravate it and cause problems. just got new spark plugs, pertronix ignitor put on and had all the gaskets replaced running soooo good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.