Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I put the MTL in the ol MT-82 in hopes to eliminate the supercharged sound. After about 150 miles of driving, it's still there, slightly reduced, but there. The side effect that I was not expecting was the smoothness of the shifts. It's a completely different feel shifting now.

I'm thinking the noise is going to continue to get quieter because since putting the fluid in it has reduced quite significantly.

On a side note...if you every REALLY wanna hear how much noise these things make, take the center console and dust boot off and go for a drive...you will cringe as you start to accelerate...and that was WITH the MTL in there.

Starting to wonder if maybe the friction modifier that is used in the diffs would help quiet this thing down.

G

·
No fluid change will eliminate the whining noise unless you fill it with molasses. Adding friciton modifiers beyond what is in the proper fluid to begin with could and would most likely damage the synchronizers as they require a very specific amount of friction to operate.

The Redline MTL comes highly recommended as you found out how smooth your trans shifts now. If you add anything else you run a high risk of damage to the internals.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All good things. Thanks for the response. I've also got some redline 75w140 on the way for the diff as well. The question I've got about that...I got the stuff with the friction modifier in it, from what I've been able to gather is this:

Royal Purple 75w140 that claims to have fm in it, either doesn't or doesn't have enough for Ford Trak-Loc's. Those that use redline say they don't use any fm and have zero problems. I know too much fm and you loose function of the lsd, so now I'm wondering if fm is required with Redline or not. Either way I've got some on the way and am considering just adding about half of the bottle.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Hmmm. I'm hearing more and more that this Redline tranny oil is making a huge difference with the MT82.

·
Registered
8 Posts
All good things. Thanks for the response. I've also got some redline 75w140 on the way for the diff as well. The question I've got about that...I got the stuff with the friction modifier in it, from what I've been able to gather is this:

Royal Purple 75w140 that claims to have fm in it, either doesn't or doesn't have enough for Ford Trak-Loc's. Those that use redline say they don't use any fm and have zero problems. I know too much fm and you loose function of the lsd, so now I'm wondering if fm is required with Redline or not. Either way I've got some on the way and am considering just adding about half of the bottle.
I replaced the diff. fluid in my 2003 GT with Mobil 1 synth. 75w140 which says it contains fm and you either can if you want but don't need to add any fm.
It had been chattering when making sharp turns, like turning into a parking space. Put 2 quarts Mobil 1 in and could only put about 1 oz. fm in before coming out of fill plug. It took about 500 miles but the chatter went away, probably could have gone with no fm.

Like stated above, I would not put fm in the transmission. You do not want to mess up the ability of the synchros. Only addative I have read about being put in transmission and being effective is replacing about 1/2 quart of fluid with Lucas synth. oil stabilizer.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Starting to wonder if maybe the friction modifier that is used in the diffs would help quiet this thing down.
DONT DO IT!!!

The reason is beacuse the MT82 has sintered brass synchros and the friction modifier can very well over time destroy your synchros.

In manual transmissions with brass, bronze or aluminum synchros, you need to be extremely careful and know exactly what is in the fluid/lune you are using if you plan to try any fluid other than specified by the manufacturer or going to something not GL-4 (so going to GL-5 or using a specific friction modifier).

GL-5 lubes generally have a bunch of EP addatives that will destroy brass, bronze or sluminum synchros. Some GL-5 lubes do have "deactivators" and can be used.

Some friction modifiers use sulfur based chemicals that will eat away at brass. bronze or aluminum synchros. In addition, the addition of a friction modifier can cause the synchro to work harder to speed match gears. Yes, it may make it easier to actually slip the synchro sleeve over the dog teeth on the synchro/blocker ring and speed gear dog teeth, but the synchro may be working extra hard to speed up/slow down to a gear. At that point, the friction modifier may just mask the hardship of the synchros until the modifier breaks down and the synchro start failing.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What made you decide to use MTL over MT90?

Thanks.
All of the rave reviews the MTL was getting in another thread on here.

As for the FM in the trans, don't worry guys it was a thought that I was hoping I would get a response to. Thankfully you guys know more about this stuff than I do. This is car has a lot of firsts for me. First RWD which goes hand and hand w/ first mustang and first v8. It's also my first Ford that wasn't a hand-me-down. Had a 98 F-150 that when I got it had 200,000 on the clock. I put another 50k on her and it got handed to my uncle for use as a farm truck and it's still running right along...at 275,000 miles.

This car has been a combination of learning new stuff and applying some of what I already knew. I'm keeping it n/a which is something completely new to me. Everything I've modified before was turbo'd and had half the cylinders and displacement.

·
Registered
536 Posts
To the OP, thanks for posting this info. I got the TSB done where they replaced the factory fill fluid with that dual clutch stuff. While it did take care of the shifting, I'm concerned that it's not protecting sufficiently. I may give this a shot, let us know how the fluid is holding up. Thanks.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well so far so good and I'm at about 300 miles on it. It's getting better and better everytime I drive. I'm convinced the longer it's in there the better it will get. I've also made the recent addition of the JHR clutch line...magnificent.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'd like to switch to Redline myself, just wondering why people are using a MTL instead of MT90(which matches the viscosity that Ford recommends).

I'm happy to see it helps.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not sure. This is what I went with due to the recommendation by Strano Performance. It's what they sell in their "shift improvement kit".

From Redline's website:
Popular replacement for and improvement over GM Synchromesh® (#12345349) and Auto-Trak II® (#12378508), Ford Motorcraft® XT-MT-QS, and Chrysler spec MS-9224

I believe that's what the TSB calls for as a replacement fluid. Can someone please confirm or deny this.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Quick question-How did everyone replace their transmission fluid with what can only be called a 'tight' space? Before I post how I did it and feel stupid (or ingenious), I was curious how others did it...

Thanks.

Also, did anyone fill it above 2.7 quarts as the service manual calls for? And where is the overfill tube on this thing?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have this thing called a trans funnel...ya know really long flexable tube on the end...yeah that seemed to work pretty well through the shifter hole with a brass 90* fitting on the end due to the tightness between the body and trans.

2.7??? You mean 3.2 right?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Another Redline oil that I think will work even better for these gearboxes is the Redline Lightweight Shockproof. We have used this oil in other similar Getrag units with great success. I think that you find that this solution will provide better protection for your internals, and make thing quiet down a bit, as well.

Here is the reality though, if the damage is done, then it is done. In other posts I have noted that some of the noise being generated by the gearbox is actually bad bearings. Now if this is the case then no oil or additive is going to rectify this.

Parts are available if you know where to find them for this gearbox now. (MT-82) If anyone is having issues with their gearbox being covered by Ford and simply wants to get this issue resolved, feel free to PM me and I will do what I can to help.

Still waiting to hear back from the moderators on my vendor status here, so I will hold off on creating a post of my own to let everyone know officially.

Erik Johnson

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Another Redline oil that I think will work even better for these gearboxes is the Redline Lightweight Shockproof. We have used this oil in other similar Getrag units with great success. I think that you find that this solution will provide better protection for your internals, and make thing quiet down a bit, as well.

Erik Johnson
Erik, How does the shockproof perform in extreme temps? It gets 110 during the summer here. Would you recommend heavy shockproof as opposed to the lightweight?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have this thing called a trans funnel...ya know really long flexable tube on the end...yeah that seemed to work pretty well through the shifter hole with a brass 90* fitting on the end due to the tightness between the body and trans.

The manual calls for 2.7 quarts.

Ford Service Manuals - GENERAL PROCEDURES

If I'm wrong though, please let me know.

·
Registered
203 Posts

I put 2.7 QT or 2.6 L (per ford manual online) and picked up a hand pump from one of the online stores that worked good. from what i have seen if you overfill it will be pushed out but they don't say where it would be pushed out (vent or seals)

LOL ya beat me to it :) good post :) :yelwacko:

·
Registered
11 Posts
We have used the Lightweight Shock Proof in quite a bit of temperature without experiencing any issues thus far. However that does bring up another thing that people may want to consider as a upgrade. If your gearbox is going to be out of the car for repair anyways, it would be a good idea to consider having external ports put in to allow for a good external pump and transmission cooler to be added. Heat has always been a big killer of gearboxes and this gearbox is no exception. Without actually knowing what the internal temps are, (no temp port either) I can not say if this is truly an issue that need to be dealt with, but I can tell you that in several of the race Getrag gearboxes, we did have a pump and cooler used in most of those applications.

Again, I am still awaiting confirmation of Vendor status, but I can be of help with some recommendations on this if anyone would like.

Erik Johnson

·
Registered
407 Posts
Quick question-How did everyone replace their transmission fluid with what can only be called a 'tight' space? Before I post how I did it and feel stupid (or ingenious), I was curious how others did it...

Thanks.

Also, did anyone fill it above 2.7 quarts as the service manual calls for? And where is the overfill tube on this thing?
Pep boys sells a planetary unit pump that fits any gear oil style quart bottle. I used RP Synchromesh and just pumped it in. I found it easier to measure the leftover fluid from the three quarts to 9oz so I could accurately know that 2.7qts was in the trans.

1 - 20 of 141 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.