Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 V6 3.7 Mustang Premium w/ automatic tranny and so far I've added Roush Axle-Back Exhaust, C&L CAI, and I'm running a Bama 87S Tune. The Roush's sound great most of the time but when cruising on the highway around 70mph there is a very loud drone in the cabin, if this could somehow be reduced a little bit I think I would enjoy it more. The drone usually happens around 1500-2000 rpm's. I've only had the Roush's on for a couple days and I think they have calmed down a bit but the drone is still pretty loud. Any ideas of possibly reducing the drone? different tune? resonators?

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Speed up, slow down, add sound insulation, take the Roush off...

A few have added mid-mount resonators.

Give it time, you may get to where it doesn't bother you anymore.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah that's what I'm hoping for. I've been doing some research and some have said adding 4" magnaflow resonators helps. Think that might work?

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Lots of options for resonators, any small diameter straight through mufflers will work, maggotflows, Dynomax race bullets, m80 pypes, etc.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok thanks a lot, I'm gonna call the shop tomorrow and see what their prices are. Any idea which one would be the best fit?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Sell them and get the Borla ATAKs. No drone at all

·
Registered
411 Posts
Ok thanks a lot, I'm gonna call the shop tomorrow and see what their prices are. Any idea which one would be the best fit?

New Borla Touring has no drone as well. I am worried you may spend more $$ trying to kill the drone and never get there.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I may, but with the cost to take off and put on the exhaust systems (I don't have anything to jack the car up to get under it and remove them myself) it may end up being more if I changed to ATAKs, especially if I cant get a good price for the Roush. I do love the sound of the Roush just not the drone at certain speeds so if I reduce the drone for somewhere around $200-$300 if would be worth it.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
This ought to be stickied so that every person who makes a new topic comparing Roush to other axlebacks can be informed of the definite drone...

·
Registered
137 Posts
Yeah I may, but with the cost to take off and put on the exhaust systems (I don't have anything to jack the car up to get under it and remove them myself) it may end up being more if I changed to ATAKs, especially if I cant get a good price for the Roush. I do love the sound of the Roush just not the drone at certain speeds so if I reduce the drone for somewhere around $200-$300 if would be worth it.
I had resonators installed at a local muffler shop for $250. It didn't completely eliminate drone, but it did cut it down I would say close to 80%. Also narrowed the drone range from 1500-2000 to around 1800-2000

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had resonators installed at a local muffler shop for $250. It didn't completely eliminate drone, but it did cut it down I would say close to 80%. Also narrowed the drone range from 1500-2000 to around 1800-2000
That sounds perfect, what kind did you have put on?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sounds great, I'm definitely gonna look into getting those put on. Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
332 Posts
a friend of mine has an auto with borla ataks and i have roush axel backs in my pp and they both have drone at 1500 to 2200.the best cure for it is some metal cranked up until you cant hear it.or for you ******** some willy and waylon.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
a friend of mine has an auto with borla ataks and i have roush axel backs in my pp and they both have drone at 1500 to 2200.the best cure for it is some metal cranked up until you cant hear it.or for you ******** some willy and waylon.
Haha I do the cranked metal all the time but on a 7 hour drive it's just a little too much. Good to know that both do that (not good for the guys that bought it but good to know so I don't go buying the ATAKs and then still have them do the same thing).

·
Registered
411 Posts
Sounds great, I'm definitely gonna look into getting those put on. Thanks a lot.
You dont need to jack up car to install axle backs..Im a novice and I did it several times on my stang. You just need a wrench and wd40..if you bought the Roush, sell em for say $250 and buy borla touring for $600 thats a $350 additional cost, where as if you have the resonators installed for $250 (and it only reduces drone) you may still end up being unhappy.

Just sayin, something to consider

If you do go with touring make sure you get the new designed (built end of june) guaranteed drone free by david borla, call and ask which vendor has the new set

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good to know, I'm definitely considering it. I'm a novice and I've installed some things but nothing underneath so far.

·
Registered
526 Posts
My sons car has them and they droned insanely loud at first, six months later they have quieted down a lot. They still drone (to my ears) but he likes the way it sounds.

I've got a 5.0 Roush AB's and I found that by moving the tips away from the body it changed the tone and reduced what little drone there was to almost absolute zero.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I have a set of the Roush axle backs for the 3.7 listed for sale in the classifieds. I liked them, but the Wife did not...they have to go. Best regards Plum

·
Registered
434 Posts
My ATAKs have no drone. You can't even hear them til around 2200...

1 - 20 of 42 Posts