Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started taking my engine apart, i am putting a whole new top end in (heads, cam, upper/lower intake). my question is, how do i reinstall the distributor and make sure i have the right timing? obviously i cant mark the distributor and engine because i wont be using the same lower intake and plus i will have to turn the engine to TDC to install the cam and timing gears and chain.
thanx a lot for your help

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
Turn the crankshaft until the timing pointer shows TDC (0 degrees) and when you lift the distributor cap the rotor points to the #1 spark plug wire (not #5). With a permanent marker, make the lower distributor cap where the rotor should be pointing. When you get your timing chain put on and everything is lined up you just put point the rotor at that black mark and drop it in.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so will that mean that my timing is set at 0 degrees? also, do you know what the stock timing is and what is the best timing to set it at? thanx

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
further adjustability is done once the engine is running by turning the distrubutor. this is simply the preliminary step to make sure your distributor is in sync with the cam, and pistons. let me know how your combo turns out and what it feels like. did you get the trick flow engine kit? the 350/370 kit? cuz thats what i want to eventually do to mine.

·
Registered
73 Posts
You can also turn the engine over to about 10 degrees and install the distributor as mentioned before. This should give you about 10 degrees of timing when you go to start the engine.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lxarlo said:
further adjustability is done once the engine is running by turning the distrubutor. this is simply the preliminary step to make sure your distributor is in sync with the cam, and pistons. let me know how your combo turns out and what it feels like. did you get the trick flow engine kit? the 350/370 kit? cuz thats what i want to eventually do to mine.
yeah i got the 350/370 kit, ill let you know how it turns out. its been raining here for a while, then it stopped and i was able to start taking it apart, then it has rained again for like the last week so i am going to finish up taking it apart today and hopefully start reinstalling parts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.