Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

We just got word that the Reische Performance 170deg thermostats for the 2011-2012 5.0L/BOSS will be available to ship very soon. We've been running on in our Boss and it's been working great for us. Fits perfect and performs great. You'll be able to read more about the install and testing in an up and coming issue of 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords Magazine so make sure not to miss it.

In the meantime as soon as we have the 170 stats in stock we'll post a link for everyone interested in purchasing them.

As always this is a Lethal Performance EXCLUSIVE!!

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
So, out of curiousity; what might something like this do for the normal DD 5.0 guy/ weekend drag racer???

·
Registered
833 Posts
I would imagine it would help with cooling the car down which would lead to less heatsoak between runs.

Would help with any track type event.

Only negative I've ever heard with lower degree thermostats is if the car does not get warm enough it can throw codes (especially in Winter time) or have read where some say the car needs to get to a certain temp to run properly...something about the oil needed to get to a flash point. Not a tech, so never quite understood this part.

·
Registered
210 Posts
So, out of curiousity; what might something like this do for the normal DD 5.0 guy/ weekend drag racer???
For one, it will allow you to run that more aggressive tune without fear of knocking.

The lower ECT temps allow for a bit more timing, as the combustion chamber won't be as volatile.

Been waiting on one of these since I got my tune. I had a 170° tstat on my last ride, and had no driveability or start up issues.

The only thing you really need to be concerned with, is going with a tstat that is too low. You will see a huge decline in oil life by doing so. Oil is most efficient at temps that are hotter then what you want for ideal performance.

If you want to extend your oil life as long as possible, a cooler tstat isn't going to be on your mod list. but for guys that want to more power... this is a must have.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Nice...

But other than oil life, there has to be some draw backs to this for a DD. Need a tune for this? Any ideas? Thoughts? Seems too good to be true.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Nice...

But other than oil life, there has to be some draw backs to this for a DD. Need a tune for this? Any ideas? Thoughts? Seems too good to be true.
Nope. Manufacturer has to meet emission regulations, so their tune will be done in a fashion to do that. No benefit of a cooler tstat. How ever by using a 190° tstat which is what is in it now, then can extend the life of the oil.

I've noticed on many a pulls the ECT temps getting into the 200+ range, no bueno!!! Def want to get one of these if you are a spirited driver.

You won't see any gains just by installing it though. So don't think its an instant power adder. How ever it does give a little bit more room for custom tuning. Every boosted vehicle out there should absolutely be running one of these. $55 is cheap insurance, and def worth the investment when your tune has to be that precise.

For a daily driver, you can drive a bit more spirited without having to worry about a bad tank of gas causing problems on you race tune.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts