Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening all. Right now i just drive a Toyota. Sedan. However recently got a chance to drive a rental 2014 Mustang the V6 and loved it
now thinking of perhaps getting one.

I would use this car as a daily driver as well.

But questions to all people who have owned Mustangs for a long time.
What is the reliability factor on these cars?

Have many had problems? chronic problems of any kind? if so what are they? or is Ford very reliable now?

Would this still be an ideal daily driver? good idea thanks

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
They are reliable. I don't get why people say they are not. I've never had an issue with any of mine over the years.

The only thing with the '11-'14 cars is the manual transmission can be moody when it gets cold. Otherwise I haven't heard of much going wrong with the new cars.

·
Registered
321 Posts
My '01 SN95 3.8 six cyl. 5 speed is quite possibly the most stone ax reliable car I've ever owned. Not fast, but very "tossable" and fun to drive with decent gas mileage to boot. Kind of a modern day Model "T". A bit crude, but tough as nails. My '14 GT 5.0 6 speed manual is too new to know just how well it will hold up since it has just a bit over 4200 miles on it. Certainly it's a significantly more complex machine mechanically and electronically than the old SN95 series. So far it's been trouble free. None of the gremlins some have complained of. Today was barely above freezing and the transmission shifted the same as it did this summer ie. much smoother than some have stated. My experience has been that you don't want to try to guide the shifter from 2nd. to 3rd., just push it forward and let the spring action do the work. Trying to guide it often results in getting it caught in the gate. Same is true for a heel and toe downshift from 6th. to 3rd. Fly by wire throttle and hydraulic clutch takes some getting used to on downshifts. I would expect that the six cyl. models are similar to the GT's except for the obvious reduction in power. Prior to the SN95 I owned a Toyota Celica GT. It did get better gas mileage, but it was'nt nearly as trouble free as the Mustang. Not nearly as quick or powerful either.

·
Registered
408 Posts
From my experience, my 13' GT auto has been giving me different problems on and off for the 2 years i have owned it.

-front control arm creaking and cluncking over speed bump. Fixed under tsb
-Leaking pinion sealx2
-RR caliper squeal, caliper/rotor replaced
-Engine tick after every oil change, disapear after 3-400miles
-intermitent shift flare from 3-4 light throttle only (quite few)
-rear decklid panel 3m taping coming off and clear coat peeling around faux gas cap
-Hood bubble recently (very common)

I dont know why i put up with all these sometimes. Im broke cant afford to lose money on trade in, overall i hate and love it. Many of the issues i have, i have seen many happened to other on forums.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I've owned three so far, a 2001 Bullitt, a 2004 GT and now the BOSS. All three have been great cars, the 2004 was used and had a 2-3 shift nibble, the dealer rebuilt the trans under powertrain warranty, was perfect since. Can I blame the car? I blame the previous owner from manhandling it. I bought the BOSS new, shifts perfect. Our Bullitt bought new shifted perfect too.

Fords in general have been great cars the last 15 years, my wife is driving a 2002 Focus wagon with 230K miles on it, runs perfect, original drivetrain, doesn't use a drop of Mobil I during it's 10K oil change intervals.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I have had a multitude of problems with both of mine as well. Mostly factory defects that seem to be "common".

·
Registered
208 Posts
My 2013 only had one problem, which was fixed by the o-ring tsb under warranty (random misfire CEL code). I am at 18,000+ miles now.

My 2000 GT was by far the most reliable car we'd ever owned. Other than general wear and tear (I consider a fuel pump at 150k to fall into this category) very little went wrong with it over almost 180k miles.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I've had my '12 GT for over 3 years and this is my first Ford, so I'm not a fanboy by any means. In my experience, the car has been quite reliable, but that doesn't mean it's perfect either. I haven't had any of the problems that were/are popular to talk about, namely, manual transmission problems, engine ticking/cylinder #8 problems, or suspension creaks.

The only problems I've had are a rear end vent replacement (a TSB exists for this), ring and pinion replacement (the car whined like crazy), and the hood pain bubbling. All of it was covered under warranty and I haven't had a recurrence of any of those issues. I wouldn't expect stereotypical Toyota reliability, but I would not expect to be at the dealer all the time either.

Living in Ontario, you will also want to consider what the car will be like in the snow. With snow tires, it's like any other car with snows when it comes to handling and braking. My experience has been less than stellar, however, when it comes to acceleration. I'm due for new snow tires after this year, so hopefully that will improve things a bit.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I've driven Mustangs since age 18. I'm 60 years old now
Recapping my last 4 Mustangs
97 v-6 - owned for 7 years - Automatic trans linkage from tranny to shifter handle had to be replaced.
05 mustang v-6 -owned for 1 year - no problems
06 mustang GT - owned for 7 years. Emergency Brake cable snapped and had to be replaced. Leather on Driver seat started to separate at one of the seams
13 Mustang GT - to present - no problems

All and all - not bad.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I've had my '12 GT for over 3 years and this is my first Ford, so I'm not a fanboy by any means. In my experience, the car has been quite reliable, but that doesn't mean it's perfect either. I haven't had any of the problems that were/are popular to talk about, namely, manual transmission problems, engine ticking/cylinder #8 problems, or suspension creaks.
This almost exactly matches my experience, the key difference being that I'm about seven weeks short of owning my 2012 GT for three years. First Ford, not a fanboy, came to the Mustang after a long string of dead-reliable Hondas and one Mazda Miata. Its MT-82 transmission exhibits its characteristic second-gear notchiness when cold; my workaround is to use a 1-3-5 shift pattern around town, which works well given the close ratios. The engine consumed a quart of oil in the first 1500 miles, another half-quart in the next 1500, then leveled off to virtually nil. I've had the SYNC system TSB done. Otherwise, the car has been flawless.

I should mention that while the car is my DD, I drive only ~7500 miles per year, so I've only recently hit 20,000 miles. Still, the car is right at three years old now and in that time has been virtually trouble free.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I bought my 14 GT in May 2013 and drive it daily. I have 25k on the odometer and still loving it. I did have a couple of issues and added some stuff to correct some of the common shift issues.

1st issue was I blew the pinion seal with less than 200 miles on the car and they had it fixed in a couple of hours and been good ever since,

2nd issues was the o-ring misfire TSB. Was also fixed in one day, and have been fine ever since.

I installed a MGW shifter to help with shifting and haven't had any issues with cold weather as I keep my car garaged. I also install a FRRP tuner and Flowmaster axle backs...really woke up the car and it's a blast to drive.

Given all considered I find the car reliable and any issues that do come up, Ford and the Forums seem to know about them before I experience them.

The good thing about owning a Mustang is the community. Typically everyone is here to help and give advice. That is a major benefit. Hope to see you join the Mustang family. :)

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have a 2014 GT, last ford I will buy... I'm going to see if I can keep it for a little while longer..

·
Registered
232 Posts
I took my car in a few months ago for water leaks. They said they fit it.. Well it started leaking again: I took it in again, and now they are saying that they can't find the leak.. Told me that it will have to get worse so they can find the leak.. WTF? I only had the car for a year... Also lower controll noise... They also said its normal for these cars to make that noise... Still love the car...

·
Registered
408 Posts
I took my car in a few months ago for water leaks. They said they fit it.. Well it started leaking again: I took it in again, and now they are saying that they can't find the leak.. Told me that it will have to get worse so they can find the leak.. WTF? I only had the car for a year... Also lower controll noise... They also said its normal for these cars to make that noise... Still love the car...
Tsb for lower control arm and as for the leak, therers several thread on how to check the drain hole yourself.

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
I don't have chronic problems with mine, but I did have two premature problems: the first was my factory battery died after only two years. The second was a failed General Electronics Module (GEM) that burned up around the same time (2 years) that cost' me over $700, as it wasn't covered in the warranty.

That said, the car has been a champ all other things considered. I'm near 70K miles, and I don't regret the purchase at all. Very pleased.

·
Registered
695 Posts
12,000+ miles and about 1 year ownership for my '13 GT premium. I haven't been back to the dealer for anything yet, but I'm fixing to take it in for the stupid sync system. In USB mode it periodically gets stuck "indexing" or telling me "voice commands are not available with this device" and will not allow me to use any of the play commands, either by voice or the buttons. I've temporarily solved it disconnecting the battery for a few minutes but the interval to when it gets stuck again seems to be getting shorter.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts