Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1988 302: I need to relocate my engine oil dipstick. Instead of replacing my timing cover w/ the early style (i.e. cover w/ tube on the side)...can I drill a hole for the dipstick tube, as in the earlier style? Does anyone know of any tech articles on this? Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
It seems to me, if memory serves me right, there wasn't enough material in that area to drill a hole. I bought a crate 5.0 that had the new type of cover on it and ended up changing to the old style cover to use the front dip stick. If you find that there's enough material, go for it. Drill the hole just a tiny bit smaller than the OD of the D/S tube. That way you'll have a slight press fit. I used a 3/8 inch plug (looks like a small freeze plug available from NAPA or a good hardware store) to close off the old D/S hole in the side of the block.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It seems to me, if memory serves me right, there wasn't enough material in that area to drill a hole. I bought a crate 5.0 that had the new type of cover on it and ended up changing to the old style cover to use the front dip stick. If you find that there's enough material, go for it. Drill the hole just a tiny bit smaller than the OD of the D/S tube. That way you'll have a slight press fit. I used a 3/8 inch plug (looks like a small freeze plug available from NAPA or a good hardware store) to close off the old D/S hole in the side of the block.
What year timing cover did you use (for pump and pulley clearance)?

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I bought a reproduction 1968 timing cover. This has a bolt on timing pointer. The ones for 67 and back have a cast in timing pointer. This cover is for the standard rotation water pump and V-belt drive. It has the hole for the dipstick already drilled and they even give you the small plug to go into the old dipstick hole on the side of the block. Got it from National Parts Depot.

Summit and Jeg's are now selling them too.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Sure, when you calibrate it. Find a dipstick that fits the tube. I mean the shoulder of the dipstick seals to the tube end. Then fill the pan with four quarts of oil (5 qt. pan) and mark or notch the dipstick where the oil level indicates. Add another quart, and then turn over the engine to fill the filter. Mark or notch the dipstick at that level and you now have two marks. You have the "filled" level and the "Add one Qt." level. You can cut off any extra length of the dipstick.

Oh yeah . . . check the oil when the car is reasonably level.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.