Ford Mustang Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
735 Posts
conversation ~40 years from now ...

guy #1: "Heh man, I'm restoring this old 2013 GT."

guy #2: "Cool!"

guy #1: "Yeah, but I need this 'cabin filter' thing that no one makes anymore. Need to find one to make the car 100%."

guy #2: "Bummer. Doesn't American Muscle make a repop?"

guy #1: "Yeah, but they go for $1,000. I'm already spending big $$ for an OEM shifter, seems back in the day most people replaced them with aftermarket units."

guy #2: "Word".

guy #1: I guess they didn't know how to shift a manual transmission."

guy #2: HaHaHa! Umm, what's a manual transmission?

guy #1: "Forget it. So, where's the nearest junk yard?"

:)

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
I knew I saved my OEM shifter for a reason: future collectable.

It even has the original zip ties!

·
Registered
424 Posts
As a word of caution to everyone, when swapping out the cabin filter and re-installing the plastic cowl, make sure all the tabs line up correctly. When I re-installed mine, one tab was slightly raised and when I discovered it about 5k miles later, it had creased the cowl enough to put a small gap between my cowl and windshield, which now howls loudly at 80+ mph. So annoying, and such a boneheaded thing to mess up.

·
Registered
87 Posts
FYI, if you have the MMD hood struts be prepared to remove the passenger side strut and the bracket that's attached to the fender. The plastic piece covering the filter wont clear the bracket.

Turns a five minute job into a 10-15 minute job.

·
Super Moderator
2,355 Posts
I have a 2011 Mustang GT with 14.000 miles on it, I have Redline hood struts and I changed my filter out today, took 5 mins had no problems getting it changed, but it was really dirty,changed my engine air filter at the same time that one wasn"t to bad.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
FYI, if you have the MMD hood struts be prepared to remove the passenger side strut and the bracket that's attached to the fender. The plastic piece covering the filter wont clear the bracket.

Good information, and maybe something we should all remember to mention whenever someone asks about struts. Like 5.0 Coyote my car has Redlines on it, and I don't have to do this. Not necessarily a deal-breaker, of course, but something to consider when choosing a brand of struts.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Another caveat to add to this topic: make sure the cowl is fastened securely and that the crappy plastic cowl screw type fasteners are tight. If not the whole cowl can vibrate annoyingly at speeds over 65 mph. It was a b*tch figuring out what that hell that sound was. I ended up replacing the OEM Ford parts. They were junk.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
As a word of caution to everyone, when swapping out the cabin filter and re-installing the plastic cowl, make sure all the tabs line up correctly. When I re-installed mine, one tab was slightly raised and when I discovered it about 5k miles later, it had creased the cowl enough to put a small gap between my cowl and windshield, which now howls loudly at 80+ mph. So annoying, and such a boneheaded thing to mess up.
I just replaced my filter the other day. I lined everything up but still have a very annoying wind noise at highway speed. I am going to see if new clips will help

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
81 Posts

I have the MMD struts and just removed the two screws on the cover and was able to flex it past the MMD struts. Just took some elbow grease....

21 - 35 of 35 Posts