Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I washed and ran a clay bar over my car. Since my keys were in the house, when I was done I just hit the lock button in the door and went on my merry way.

Next morning, when I was going to work, I hit the unlock key on my remote fob.

Nothing.

I hit the lock button. I hit the trunk button a few times. I even hit the emergency button. Not a damn thing happened. No horn, no lights, no flashing, no unlocking, nothing. I tried the door to see if it had silently unlocked (I was still 80% asleep). It had not.

I was going to start panicking, fearing either the battery in the fob had completely died, or the RKE system - or the battery itself - in the car had ceased to function. That's when I realized there was a key on my keyfob (amazing!), so I stuck it in the door to unlock it. I feared I wouldn't be able to start the car with a dead key fob due to PATS.

When I twisted the key, the door opened right up, the lights turned on, and everything seemed normal. I tried to start the car, and it acted as if nothing was wrong - started right up. The battery in the key fob was fine. When I was done and got out of the car, the lock button on the fob worked just fine. So what the hell, batman?

I got in the car from work a short while later to go to an appointment. I feared the same thing would happen again, but nope. Worked like a champ.

Has anybody else had this issue? One where the key fob just doesn't work in the morning, and then works later in the day? Is it related to me having used the lock button in the door the day before?

Or am I just hallucinating? I mean, I'm pretty sure I wasn't.

·
Registered
526 Posts
It's probably some type of interference.

My buddy lived near the the broadcasting towers for several TV and radio stations. My remote would only work at his house if I held it against the drivers window.

He also got the radio station on some of his cable tv channels.

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
the battery may be getting weak, or you weren't pointing the fob at the car or there was a UFO in the area...that is why the key will override the system everytime

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
I'm thinking the battery contacts on the xmitter were dirty or the car was so clean the signals just bounced off which is why it worked later....:winks

·
Registered
680 Posts
Even if the battery in your key dies the car will still start.

If it doesn't just push it down a hill and pop the clutch :gringreen

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Low car battery?
The car's 6 months old. Plus, there were no indications that there was anything wrong with the electrical system beyond the RKE not working.

It's not interference, since I'm not near any EM generators, and the car was at the same spot it's at every morning. The only thing different about that morning was that I didn't use the RKE to lock it the night before, I used the door switch. Logic would dictate that that action is somehow related to the RKE not working the morning after. I've just got to figure out how.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Lets hope it's a isolated problem. Did you get two RKE fobs? Carry both for a while and see if you can isolate it to the fob or car.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Did it rain that night or have a heavy dew/fog? Wash your car that evening before you parked it? You may have had some moisture get in the SJB.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did it rain that night or have a heavy dew/fog? Wash your car that evening before you parked it? You may have had some moisture get in the SJB.
I did wash the car the night before, but I've washed my car many times without ill effect. In fact, I washed it again last night before waxing my car. The key fob worked perfectly fine this morning. In fact, I haven't been able to reproduce it at all, so for now I suppose I'm just going to have to chalk it up to electrical oddities.

Just so you don't feel like I've completely wasted your time, here's some pictures of my car I took late last night after my wife and I waxed it.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
I think it was just a reason to post pictures of his car...

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think it was just a reason to post pictures of his car...
Not at first, but since nothing useful came of the original topic (nobody's fault, nothing anybody can do), I figured I might as well post some pics. Can you blame me? :gringreen

·
Registered
131 Posts
Having just programmed my new flip key :) I can tell you that there's two different things going on with the key/fob.

• First is the remote function, which unlocks the doors and trunk and stuff.
  • The second is a little chip-let thingy (which doesn't take a battery) that acts like an RFID responder; this is what tells the computer that it's OK to let the key start the car

·
Registered
345 Posts
I think that you will find that if you use the door button to lock instead of the fob, the fob won't open it again until you use the fob. Don't know exactly why, but I have had this happen to me before.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts