Ford Mustang Forum banner

Remote Turbo Setup Questions

4K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  05mystang 
If you really want to go f/I and want to do it yourself, do yourself a favor and get a s\c kit. They can be installed with simple handtools in about a day. Turbo kits are much harder to install, and building a custom kit is even harder. I wouldn't hesitate for a minute to go slap on a s/c to my car, but I wouldn't even attempt to build my own turbo kit, especially remote mounted with used turbos. That has the makings of a blown engine real quick. Also with a s/c kit you get a handheld tuner with safe effective tunes already loaded. If you made a custom kit you would need a custom tune and I gaurantee you that you will not find someone who can tune it for cheap. After all the parts, frustration, labor, tuning and towing (I wouldn't drive my car down the street with a custom turbo and no tune) costs, it might end up costing more than just buying a good kit to begin with. I'm not trying to put you down, I'm just trying to save you the anguish of dealing with putting a kit together

No problem :bigthumbsup The XCharger kits are really good and can be had for a pretty good price at American Muscle. The HiPo can about 120 hp and the Xtreme can add over 140 hp and can hit high 12's in the quarter. One thing I would do before getting one of those kits is to get a 8.8 rear end to handle the power. It's also a good way to get gears, which by itself is a big increase in acceleration. The rear end can be put on in about a day at home. If you can do shocks you can do this

Yeah the reason why some of the turbo kits cost more is the amount of parts needed to make them work. And as forensicsteve said, there's really no need for twin turbo. They are not easy to tune and as far as I know there isn't a twin turbo kit available for the 4.0. Powerhouse makes a single turbo capable of 400+ hp with very little lag. As far as the 3.73, yes it is a big difference. They are easily on par with an intake/tune as far as performance goes. 4.10 is an even bigger difference but I wouldn't recommend that for f/i, especially if you have a manual

Good advice. Yeah I heard the 4.10s are ridiculous on manuals and you basically lose your first gear.

Thinking about maybe CAI/ Tuner combo pack in the short run? Maybe that'd be a good combo with some 3.73s. And if I strip weight that'd be even better.
Yeah that's why I recommended the 3.73. With f/i and 4.10 you would be hitting the rev limiter real quick. The JLT combo is really good, and with 3.73 will give you a real nice kick in the pants

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.