Ford Mustang Forum banner

Remote Turbo Setup Questions

4K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  05mystang 
Okay so I'm really considering a remote turbo setup for my 4.0L with dual exhaust.

Basically, I'd be replacing my mufflers with two turbos (obviously going to be a little turbo lag but its a big enough engine that I have some torque low end).

I'm trying to figure out:
A. What size of turbos do I need to look for (probably pulling them from a junkyard or buying them off a parts car
B. How would I attach the air intake to the intake manifold?
C. How to wire my oil pumps to turn on when my car does.
D. Do I need an intercooler.

I'm planning on running a total of 5 lbs of boost, as I'm keeping the stock internals. Any input would be appreciated :bigthumbsup

A. Used turbos from a junk yard, noway no way the bearings will be good. A used turbo from a junk yard is going to need rebuilt, in the end it will cost more than a new turbo.
B. A Pipe under the car from the turbo's to the I/C , to Intake mani.
C. With relays to your Ignition wires.
D. Yes.
E. Exhaust turns turbo, turbo compresses air into the intake mani.

Your also going to need alot more parts than just turbos. boost controler, custom welded intake and exaust piping, wasgate, bov, custom oil lines, custom tune, injectors,upgraded fuel system,spark plugs, I/C.

And just as the guys say above, you dont seem to even really know what a turbo does, and your going to build a custom remote mount turbo kit. Do you even know the draw-backs of this kind of system, It just sounds like your trying to throw some crap together cheap. If you have to ask how to build a turbo kit, your probably dont have the knowledge to build one. And even if you know how doesnt mean you have the capability to build one. The guys here arnt trying to discurage you just save you money and time. You could spend thousands on that crap that will not work in the end, or pony up and let the real thinkers build and sell the turbo kits.

Also if I mount the turbo high enough under the car, I could have it drain down to a resevoir right? Then to a pump that would recirculate it, and wire it to turn on from the ignition.

Makes sense :)

Never, In case you dont know thats one of the draw back of a remote turbo, you have to get the oiling perfect, or say bye bye turbo. That why most dont like that system, they eat turbos alive. If you can figure out how to oil a turbo properly remote mount let us know so we can all build them for cheap. Oiling turbos is more complex than nuclear pysics. You can over oil a turbo also.

http://www.turbo.com.sg/tech_fundamentals.htm

Avoid use turbos odds are the seals are either bad or on their last leg. STS makes a system. If you are bent on doing it yourself then study their kit and try to replicate the parts. In the end you will most likely spend more trying to reinvent the wheel though. Your best bet if you decide to do it on your own is to go back to a single exhaust and run the bypass over to the other exhaust cutout in the rear bumper. Good luck.
Yup X2 :gringreen and even then I'd grab a on3 performance turbo kit and upgrade the turbo before I ever touched an sts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.