Ford Mustang Forum banner

Remote Turbo Setup Questions

4K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  05mystang 
#1 ·
Okay so I'm really considering a remote turbo setup for my 4.0L with dual exhaust.

Basically, I'd be replacing my mufflers with two turbos (obviously going to be a little turbo lag but its a big enough engine that I have some torque low end).

I'm trying to figure out:
A. What size of turbos do I need to look for (probably pulling them from a junkyard or buying them off a parts car
B. How would I attach the air intake to the intake manifold?
C. How to wire my oil pumps to turn on when my car does.
D. Do I need an intercooler.

I'm planning on running a total of 5 lbs of boost, as I'm keeping the stock internals. Any input would be appreciated :bigthumbsup

#3 ·
I'd highly recommend just buying a kit engineered for the car...with all due respect you clearly have no clue what you are doing...have a pro install and tune it.

#5 ·
I want to do it, not take it to a shop and pay some guy to do it. I want to get my hands dirty so unless you have something constructive to say GTFO of my thread.
While it may not have been what you wanted to hear, it was sound, constructive advice.

I might be more timid than most but given my limited mechanical experience I am extremely wary of doing things that may (if applicable) void warranties and cause damage to my five digit price tag vehicle.

Peace of mind is worth paying for, especially considering if someone else messes it up, the burden of fixing it is on them, not you.

#6 ·
While it may not have been what you wanted to hear, it was sound, constructive advice.

I might be more timid than most but given my limited mechanical experience I am extremely wary of doing things that may (if applicable) void warranties and cause damage to my five digit price tag vehicle.

Peace of mind is worth paying for, especially considering if someone else messes it up, the burden of fixing it is on them, not you.
Okay I totally understand your point of view, and I respect it. It's not like I have a warranty anyways though :p haha.

It's not like I have absolutely not mechanical experience though, I mean I have a 1971 Javelin that's got engine and suspension work, not to mention a swapped tranny.

Besides, if you go by the argument that I have "no" mechanical experience, think about this: how do people achieve mechanical experience? They dive in and try things.

NOW, if anybody has any thoughts that would actually help me, I would love to hear them. I don't want to hear about how impossible it is for me to do, no offense.
-rant over :gringreen

#8 ·
A. Used turbos from a junk yard, noway no way the bearings will be good. A used turbo from a junk yard is going to need rebuilt, in the end it will cost more than a new turbo.
B. A Pipe under the car from the turbo's to the I/C , to Intake mani.
C. With relays to your Ignition wires.
D. Yes.
E. Exhaust turns turbo, turbo compresses air into the intake mani.

Your also going to need alot more parts than just turbos. boost controler, custom welded intake and exaust piping, wasgate, bov, custom oil lines, custom tune, injectors,upgraded fuel system,spark plugs, I/C.

And just as the guys say above, you dont seem to even really know what a turbo does, and your going to build a custom remote mount turbo kit. Do you even know the draw-backs of this kind of system, It just sounds like your trying to throw some crap together cheap. If you have to ask how to build a turbo kit, your probably dont have the knowledge to build one. And even if you know how doesnt mean you have the capability to build one. The guys here arnt trying to discurage you just save you money and time. You could spend thousands on that crap that will not work in the end, or pony up and let the real thinkers build and sell the turbo kits.

#9 ·
A. Used turbos from a junk yard, noway no way the bearings will be good. A used turbo from a junk yard is going to need rebuilt, in the end it will cost more than a new turbo.
B. A Pipe under the car from the turbo's to the I/C , to Intake mani.
C. With relays to your Ignition wires.
D. Yes.
E. Exhaust turns turbo, turbo compresses air into the intake mani.

Your also going to need alot more parts than just turbos. boost controler, custom welded intake and exaust piping, wasgate, bov, custom oil lines, custom tune, injectors, spark plugs, I/C.

And just as the guys say above, you dont seem to even really know what a turbo does, and your going to build a custom remote mount turbo kit. Do you even know the draw-backs of this kind of system, It just sounds like your trying to throw some crap together cheap. If you have to ask how to build a turbo kit, your probably dont have the knowledge to build one. And even if you know how doesnt mean you have the capability to build one. The guys here arnt trying to discurage you just save you money and time. You could spend thousands on that crap that will not work in the end, or pony up and let the real thinkers build and sell the turbo kits.
That's useful to know about the used turbo thing. So I could go with an internal or external wastegate for my turbo right? If I go with an external wastegate, is there a way I can control how much pressure it lets go at, like different springs? Or am I confusing a wastegate with a bov?

And an internal wastegate would have to be controlled by a boost controller I'm guessing..

I could probably go with a fairly small intercooler I'm guessing considering that I'm going to be pushing pretty minimal boost. I don't want to overheat my heads or something.. I was just wondering.

Could I use the piping off of an aftermarket cold air intake to fit into my throttle body and weld to that?

#12 ·
Never, In case you dont know thats one of the draw back of a remote turbo, you have to get the oiling perfect, or say bye bye turbo. That why most dont like that system, they eat turbos alive. If you can figure out how to oil a turbo properly remote mount let us know so we can all build them for cheap. Oiling turbos is more complex than nuclear pysics. You can over oil a turbo also.

http://www.turbo.com.sg/tech_fundamentals.htm

#13 ·
Avoid use turbos odds are the seals are either bad or on their last leg. STS makes a system. If you are bent on doing it yourself then study their kit and try to replicate the parts. In the end you will most likely spend more trying to reinvent the wheel though. Your best bet if you decide to do it on your own is to go back to a single exhaust and run the bypass over to the other exhaust cutout in the rear bumper. Good luck.

#15 ·
If you really want to go f/I and want to do it yourself, do yourself a favor and get a s\c kit. They can be installed with simple handtools in about a day. Turbo kits are much harder to install, and building a custom kit is even harder. I wouldn't hesitate for a minute to go slap on a s/c to my car, but I wouldn't even attempt to build my own turbo kit, especially remote mounted with used turbos. That has the makings of a blown engine real quick. Also with a s/c kit you get a handheld tuner with safe effective tunes already loaded. If you made a custom kit you would need a custom tune and I gaurantee you that you will not find someone who can tune it for cheap. After all the parts, frustration, labor, tuning and towing (I wouldn't drive my car down the street with a custom turbo and no tune) costs, it might end up costing more than just buying a good kit to begin with. I'm not trying to put you down, I'm just trying to save you the anguish of dealing with putting a kit together

#16 ·
Good advice. I don't have a problem with saying that it's more trouble than it's worth, as long as there's reasoning behind it. I appreciate your respect.

Basically I'm just looking for really good power adders (except nos) to keep up with some of the imports around where I live. Constantly getting smack talked. I'm not adverse to ditching weight either. Just feel like I'm a little behind the pack.

#17 ·
No problem :bigthumbsup The XCharger kits are really good and can be had for a pretty good price at American Muscle. The HiPo can about 120 hp and the Xtreme can add over 140 hp and can hit high 12's in the quarter. One thing I would do before getting one of those kits is to get a 8.8 rear end to handle the power. It's also a good way to get gears, which by itself is a big increase in acceleration. The rear end can be put on in about a day at home. If you can do shocks you can do this

#19 ·
If you go turbo, you don't need twins. A small single turbo (62) will give you very good pedal response. Bigger and twins are not necessarily the better choice with turbos.

#20 ·
Yeah the reason why some of the turbo kits cost more is the amount of parts needed to make them work. And as forensicsteve said, there's really no need for twin turbo. They are not easy to tune and as far as I know there isn't a twin turbo kit available for the 4.0. Powerhouse makes a single turbo capable of 400+ hp with very little lag. As far as the 3.73, yes it is a big difference. They are easily on par with an intake/tune as far as performance goes. 4.10 is an even bigger difference but I wouldn't recommend that for f/i, especially if you have a manual

#21 ·
Yeah the reason why some of the turbo kits cost more is the amount of parts needed to make them work. And as forensicsteve said, there's really no need for twin turbo. They are not easy to tune and as far as I know there isn't a twin turbo kit available for the 4.0. Powerhouse makes a single turbo capable of 400+ hp with very little lag. As far as the 3.73, yes it is a big difference. They are easily on par with an intake/tune as far as performance goes. 4.10 is an even bigger difference but I wouldn't recommend that for f/i, especially if you have a manual
Good advice. Yeah I heard the 4.10s are ridiculous on manuals and you basically lose your first gear.

Thinking about maybe CAI/ Tuner combo pack in the short run? Maybe that'd be a good combo with some 3.73s. And if I strip weight that'd be even better.

#22 ·
You are familiar with STS right? I would assume so since I don't know of any other manufacturer who does a remote mount turbo. How much do you expect to spend on putting together a system? I'm not completely sure how much the STS system is but it might be worth the time, tuning and reliability of your engine to consider their pre-fabbed system. STS makes a great product, I had the pleasure of meeting the owner at a trade show and he took me for a ride in their Tacoma. Impressive stuff. All without an intercooler, very little (If any) tuning and that turbo spooling sound that close to the end of your exhaust is unbelievably intoxicating to hear.

Good luck.

Squires Turbo Systems - Mustang V6

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.