Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you go about removing the ignition switch. I know I need the key and a small pin to push in the hole on the switch. But it will not remove the cylinder.

·
Registered
574 Posts
You need to turn the key and push the pin in. You'll probably need to experiment and jiggle things around a bit, but the cylinder WILL come out.

good luck!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have tried everything. First the key will not stay in the tumblers it pulls out anywhere I turn the ignition. I need to get the switch out of the dash. It looks like I am going to have to have it drilled out. Or is there any way to get the switch out without removing the cylinder?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Its pretty simple really. Insert your key turn ignition to accessory position insert paper clip into small hole in front of ignition switch push in on paperclip to release internal stop then while pushing in the key will turn counter clockwise one more position. After turning pull cylinder out with key. You say your key pulls out in any position it wont matter as long as you get the switch turned back one additional position from the accessory position then you can take a pick or some tool to remove the cylinder. Heres a video from you tube.‪60's Ford Ignition Lock Cylinder and Ignition Switch Removal.MP4‬‏ - YouTube

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
These ignition cylinders can get frustrating. :frustrated: Try not to let it get to you!

My guess is that your release pin is either frozen or not releasing all the way. The pics I gave you show you what you can't see.

First disconnect the negative terminal on your battery. Then squirt some penetrating lubricant such as WD-40 or something similar in the release hole and the key hole. A paperclip is usually not sturdy enough. An ice pick or similar tool works great. Insert the key and turn it counterclockwise to the ACC position. Push the tool into the release hole while putting intermittent pressure on the key in a counterclockwise direction. Patience is the key here. Once the cylinder is free and will turn past the ACC position, you should be able to remove it.

The lock cylinder needs to be removed before removing the ignition switch. You can drill out the lock but it's a messy and slow job. Good Luck. :winks

Attachments

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I recently fought my tumbler and it turns out that the pin would go into the hole, push the release button so far that the pin would end up in the button hole (slightly) and keep me from rotating the tumble counter clockwise. Until I pulled the pin out slowly WHILE I turned CCW on the key/tumbler.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts