Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know how to safely remove the steering wheel off of an 05 GT?? I recently ordered a duplicate of the shelby 2007 steering wheel. Black perforated leather with red stictching. Can't wait!:evilchuck

·
Registered
126 Posts
I love the 2007 Shelby Cobra steering wheel.
I want one too.
The stock steering wheel for GTs suck big time.
Where did you get it and how much did it cost?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
599 Posts
This is what i did. I am not a mechanic. Easy 20 minute job. Disconnect the negative battery cable. Wait 10 minutes.... I think this is to unload a capcitor in the airbag? maybe? I read it on the web so must be necessary. Next remove the two rubber covers on each side of the steering wheel, behind the 9 oclock and the 3 oclock spokes. In each hole is an 8 mm nut remove these. Next carefully remove the horn airbag, remove the two wires that attach to the back of the airbag/horn. Next carefully unplug the cruise control wires from above the large bolt that holds the steering wheel on. Next unbolt the steering wheel and wiggle it off. Install in reverse order. I found it very easy to do. Good Luck! :drink:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. Worked out like you said. The new steering wheel feels great. Looks great against my whited-out knuckles doing 110 mph on I-75!
hogpowr said:
This is what i did. I am not a mechanic. Easy 20 minute job. Disconnect the negative battery cable. Wait 10 minutes.... I think this is to unload a capcitor in the airbag? maybe? I read it on the web so must be necessary. Next remove the two rubber covers on each side of the steering wheel, behind the 9 oclock and the 3 oclock spokes. In each hole is an 8 mm nut remove these. Next carefully remove the horn airbag, remove the two wires that attach to the back of the airbag/horn. Next carefully unplug the cruise control wires from above the large bolt that holds the steering wheel on. Next unbolt the steering wheel and wiggle it off. Install in reverse order. I found it very easy to do. Good Luck! :drink:

·
Registered
359 Posts
One word of caution... the steering nut bolt is one of those "use one time only" bolts. You may want to consider ordering a new one and re-installing it. The cost should be like $4 at the parts department.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts