Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to the high temps, plus high humidity in San Diego lately, along with C&L's high IAT's, I decided to remove the hood blanket. I didn't realize how much heat was being blocked from the hood vents by the blanket. When I put my hand over the vents now, you can really feel the heat escaping. A plus is I can hear the CAI sucking even more now. :)

I thought it would look worse. There's an area in the middle that needs some paint but I can do that with a rattle can. I've read that others have had theirs off for years with no paint problems, and with the vents, it should help.

I don't drive in the rain much, but if I do, I'll just have to clean the engine bay a little more.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Does the top of your hood get piping hot now? That would be my fear.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How much did it weigh?
A couple of pounds maybe.

I thought that channeled water coming through the vents away from your hot engine?
It does channel it, but right on to your filter. Your engine gets plenty wet in the rain. It won't hurt it.

I didn't measure the hood temp before hand, I should have. I think with it venting the heat better, it may get a little hotter or may not. If someone has an infrared thermometer and can check theirs in the shade, I'll do the same.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Does the CAI still have a good suction/seal to the hood? (not sure if the hood blanket even covered that area. :scratchchin)

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't think they seal very well period. I might cut the drip trays off the blanket, install it, and check it again.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Or will it be so hot the PW paint will start to change colors like a dress shirt that had a hot iron left on it too long?

·
Registered
280 Posts
WARNING: To all of those with vinyl stripes, leave the heat sheild on! The heat WILL damage/discolor your vinyl! You are better off just leaving it alone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts