Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may sound stupid for asking this, but what do i have to do to remove the cylinder head and the head gasket to replace the gasket and clean the head?
I have all the gaskets and whatnot for it but i just want to make sure i'm doing it right :bigthumbsup

-Jm5

·
Registered
454 Posts
If you're having trouble removing it, try leaving a couple head bolts in but loose, and crank it over on the starter with no wires hooked up to the plugs. The compression will usually loosen it up.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Carefull! Be aware that the original head gasket is very thin metal and not available. If you purchased a new gasket kit, it will lower the compression ratio of your engine unless you have the head shaved to make up the difference.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
unless you have the head shaved to make up the difference.
Where can you get this done?
and what kind of damaga/difference does the different compression ratio cause?

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Any machine shop can do the work. Lowering the compression adversely effects the limited power you have to start with. The stock gasket is .024 compressed, where the Felpro has a compressed thickness of .050, Victor is .044 compressed so head will have to be milled at least the difference. Also a good time for hardened valve seats for unleaded gas while it's off. While you could take more off to bump compression, would not advise it unless rebuilding the whole engine. Increasing compression on old rings is asking for trouble.

·
Banned
7,170 Posts
i'll go ahead and ask, why are you taking the head off? what is the problem with the engine? you mentioned CLEANING, do not remove the head just for cleaning.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i'm doing a full restoration on the car. The engine hasn't ran in over 5 years so i'm opening it up to replace the gaskets, clean the head, new bearings/rings, and new seals.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts