Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to strip my doors with a chemical paint remover, but I am having a lot of trouble removing the molding from the middle of the door. I was able to remove the upper molding next to the window. There aren't any bolts holding it on, it appears to be held on with a strong adhesive. I have two questions how do I remove it? or can I scuff it with scotchbrite and hit it with some epoxy primer? It is a car I plan on keeping.

· Registered
31,118 Posts
That's some tough adhesive, you usually have to use a heat gun to get the adhesive to release but once you get it off, you can scuff off the remainder. But it's just stuck on, there's no bolts.

· Registered
72 Posts
I already did that when I attempted to paint my car.
First i just took a flat spatula/scraper thing and bit by bit pried the moldings off.
There was a lot of the sticky crap left over, so my friend gave me an attachment for an airgun that is like an eraser. I cant remember what its actually called, but it worked perfect. It easily took off the gunk and left the paint/primer underneath untouched.

Careful when you are working with the moldings, they have metal strips inside so if they get a crease it's never going to come out..

-Parker

· Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I'll give the heat gun a shot. Then try to remove the adhesive with lacquer thinner or degreaser. That adhesive is the toughest crap I ever ran into, but I like the fox bodies and plan on keeping it for a long long time. Thanks again for the advice

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.