Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i'm removing my full rear end out of my parts car to put into my good car. I have gotten all bolts and nuts removed but the lower control arm to rear end bolt. It was really stuck and not moving at all but after some heat and pb blaster i was able to get the nut off and get the bolt to spin. Problem now is that the bolt just spins in place but doesnt come out. i have tried to hammer it out but its hard to hammer with the drum brake in the way, and even that hasnt helped. Just wondering if anyone on here had any suggestions b/c i'm outa ideas. Thanks

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
I used PB Blaster and a Air Chisel with a Point to drive them out. Make sure you use Anti-Seize on the new Bolts so in case you need to remove them again it wont be difficult.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I just fought that battle last week. Did you remove the shocks and springs yet?
What I did was support the rear axle under the differential with a jack. I removed the shock, quad shot (think that's what it's called) I lowered the axle watching the brake like that connects to the top of the differential. Removed my coil spring then used a breaker bar to get the nut loose.
I removed the nut and bolt from the frame attachment first. Then I fought the axle bolt. I used a prybar forcing the bolt out a little ways then I used a socket and spun it using the threads to back it out a little. Once It was through the first axle bracket it came out easy.

I think the key is to get to weight off the bolt by using the jack to find the magic height for the axle. You could brush it all with a wire brush to knock some barnicles off of everything then smear some molly grease on the bolt so when you get it started through it works better.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for all the help. Yeah i have everything detached from the axle including the brake lines. Should i jack under the differential or use two jacks under the lower controle arm connection?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.