Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.. Im picking up a new '05 GT convertible tomorrow (Found one still on a lot, $4500.00 off sticker and 1.9% financing!!) and it has the Shaker 1000 system installed. I was originally REALLY excited about that as all the general car review sites raved about the Shaker 1000 but after reading some of the Mustang forums, it looks like the head unit is a piece of junk.

I have a pretty high end Alpine unit I just took out of my WRX. Is there a "plug and play" solution for yanking the Shaker head unit and replacing it with an aftermarket? Does anyone make a harness made just for this purpose?

I'm fine with keeping the factory amps and subs and I dont mind powering the door speakers off the Alpine's internal amp if need be. I have a JL Audio 300/4 that came out of my WRX as well but thats probably overkill for some door speakers.

Any advice anyone can give would be greatly appreciated. I searched back about 8 months and found some vague references but it seems most everyone is replacing the entire system and not just the head unit.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
dont yank it out just yet.... i too have heard the horror stories on the "skipper 500 and 1000" i have the 1000 and have had absolutely no problems what so ever with it. from my understanding, a majority of the problems were with the 500 in the '05. but, if your hellbent on taking it out, do a search, there is a thread that was up a while back (month maybe) about removing the shaker 500 unit so that a sirus radio could be added utilizing the aux port in the back or something to that affect. it tell you how to do it. i would run it for a while and see what happens first. the 1000 is an awesome system considering its factory.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Harness-Metra 70-5521. $15 It is marked as Ford 03-up Amp Harness. It comes with two harnesses, the main one and a second smaller one for the subs.

Double Din mounting kit-Metra 99-5807. $19 On the package it is marked for a 04' F-150. BUT page 2 of the instruction pamplet has directions for the radio removal for a 05' Mustang

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. Im not going to yank it until I at least give it a chance. Least now I know what I need when/if the time comes. Crutchfield also has a harness coming out next month for removing the Shaker system.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hawgman said:
Harness-Metra 70-5521. $15 It is marked as Ford 03-up Amp Harness. It comes with two harnesses, the main one and a second smaller one for the subs.

Double Din mounting kit-Metra 99-5807. $19 On the package it is marked for a 04' F-150. BUT page 2 of the instruction pamplet has directions for the radio removal for a 05' Mustang
So did you actually use the harness and kit you stated in this forum? I am wanting to put a double DIN touch screen in place of the shaker 1000 head unit and run it with the sub and speakers. Think this will work?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts