Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out in sunny Southern California this week for a business trip and needed a way of getting around town. I picked up this 2012 Kona Blue GT from Hertz and drove about one tanks worth of driving around LA. I really wanted a convertible but I was happy that I went with this GT. It already had 10,000+ miles on it but was holding up nice, no scratches or nicks and the interior was clean like new.

I noticed a couple of things: Tilt wheel: As dumb as it sounds I looked for the tilt wheel when I first got my 2011 but could not figure it out. I never bothered looking in the manual so just lived with it. When I got into the rental it was in a different position so I finally figured out a lever on the bottom of the steering column! Sweet.

The rental was an automatic of course and it was nice having a slush-box in traffic. It would jump into a high gear pretty quickly (which saves fuel) but it also seemed a lazy on the down shifting. I just don't think held the gear long enough before it shifted. About the first 1/2 dozen times I got in the car to start it up I kept wanting to push the clutch down.

There was a squeak coming from the front suspension that was noticeable when I was driving slow with the windows down over rough roads (and having the radio at a very low level). That squeak was surely disappointing but not real bad (yet).

This one had home link and and lighted vanity mirrors that should have come with mine but look easy enough to swap out if I really wanted to do that.

Most of the highways 605,405 ,55 , I-5 was in good shape but there were some rough parts that I don't think would work too well on a lowered Mustang. I heard the plastic lower deflector scrape a few times. I'm not a huge fan of the Kona Blue or the white stripes (Love my S.G.) but it was okay for the 3 days I was there.

I thought about but did not abuse it or try to do any burnouts and it still looked like it had the OE tires all around with plenty of tread left on it.

It was great enjoying California and some really nice weather and driving around in the 5.0. Even though it obviously had stock exhaust, sounded pretty darn good for a rental! I only wished I had the time to cruise on the coastal hwy.

During my short visit I think I only saw ten other Mustangs TOTAL and maybe 3 of them were 2010's or newer. Thought that was odd given the gajillions of cars out there.

Here's a pic:

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Dang, pretty nice for a rental. Side window louvers and everything.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I feel bad for cars that make it into rental fleets, but I feel worse for the poor saps that buy them afterwards.

·
Registered
434 Posts
^^^+1 for the lower control arms

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
well $4 gas is killing muscle cars again....here in Tampa you rarely see any Mustangs anymore...everyone is in an econobox

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
Hey Speedking, was it you I spoke with at a red light on Olympic Blvd yesterday?! It must be you or it's a hell Of a coïncidence, it was the same Mustang and it was also a rented one... We talked a little, while stopped at a redlight, I noticed the right side louver was missing, wanted to ask you what happened (as I am still wondering if I should get these), but we didn't had time, the Green light was on...
Was fun to drive side by side a few minutes (saw you on La Cienega Blvd and we both turned right on Olympic), please comfirm if it was you...

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
Just looked closer at your pic, and I can see there is a louver on the right Window, so it wasn't you yesterday, wow, crazy, was the same Mustang...
Maybe I saw you anyway, as I saw the same Mustang park a few times on Arizona street in Santa Monica, maybe this Time it was you...? (the guy i spoke with yesterday, said it wasn't him...) LOL
Anyway, it looked good!

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
That's pretty sweet to get a 5.0 as a rental. Beautiful car at that.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Speedking, was it you I spoke with at a red light on Olympic Blvd yesterday?! It must be you or it's a hell Of a coïncidence, it was the same Mustang and it was also a rented one... We talked a little, while stopped at a redlight, I noticed the right side louver was missing, wanted to ask you what happened (as I am still wondering if I should get these), but we didn't had time, the Green light was on...
Was fun to drive side by side a few minutes (saw you on La Cienega Blvd and we both turned right on Olympic), please comfirm if it was you...
Hey Asphalt Cowboy - no that was not me. This one had both louvers and although I wanted get up towards Hollywood, the farthest North I made it was to Huntington Park - pretty close though. Maybe next time I'm up that direction, I'll let you know.

·
Registered
536 Posts
For all of the insanity out there I do still miss living in California! I lived in both West LA and the SF Bay Area.

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
I'm sick of LA (except Santa Monica, Venice and Marina Del Rey areas), the traffic is a mess, I'm looking to get away... Colorado is nice no?

·
Registered
22 Posts
If they're bad can you make them squeek by pushing up and down on the front end ?
Yes. That's exactly how the tech at my dealership determined it was the LCA's. He had me pop the hood and push down on the front while he was down by the wheel listening with his hand on the control arm.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Wow if you were scraping on stock suspension (which we all know comes quite high from the factory), then those roads must have been horrible! No excuse for that in CA!

Beautiful rental car btw. the Kona blue looks gorgeous in sunlight in my opinion. As far as the automatic, a custom tune completely changes/cures the sluggishness, believe me! ;)

·
Registered
536 Posts
I'm sick of LA (except Santa Monica, Venice and Marina Del Rey areas), the traffic is a mess, I'm looking to get away... Colorado is nice no?
I've been out here almost 6 years now. In SoCal, I lived basically in your neck of the woods, near the Santa Monica / Wilshire intersection. In NorCal, I lived in Walnut Creek, which was excellent, half an hour to SF, a few hours to Tahoe, an hour to wine country (I love a good pinot), a daytrip to Monterey is easy, etc etc. However, it was expensive out there.

I live in Greenwood Village now, which is basically an uppity little suburb of Denver, I used to live right downtown until a year ago. Colorado is awesome, I love it, but don't forget your sunscreen, that sun is brutal up here in the higher elevations. Also, your n/a car won't make as much power. My 5.0 makes plenty to still run hard and have fun, but the turbo'd guys rule out here. Lots of turbo Subarus and Audis.

Overall, I like it in CO but I do miss CA all the time! I end up getting out there about a half dozen times a year with my wife since my Dad still lives out there.

G

·
well $4 gas is killing muscle cars again....here in Tampa you rarely see any Mustangs anymore...everyone is in an econobox
Same here. In St. Louis I see VERY few 2010 newer Mustangs, and not many 5.0s at all. See alot of v6s though and most of the 2010 newer ones are 2010 Gts.

I talked to my sales guy and was asking him why the dealers didnt carry a lot of GTs in stock. basically he says Ford could really pump the production out if they wanted to, but with supply and demand Ford is not making a ton right now possibly due to economy, gas prices. Chevy dealers carry crap loads of Camaro SS though. I mean some have over a DOZEN in stock. However they have the bailout money so they can afford it.

There is one ford dealer around here that has a big stock of overpriced GTs. A lot of them are base model used 2011s with like 15k miles on them, and they want near or over over 30 grand. That dealer has NOT been moving them and those same cars have been sitting there since early this year. No one is buying mustangs from that dealer.

the Challengers same way. See lots of RTs but very VERY few SRTs.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
That "stripe" is sad looking. It looks like the protective tape they put on new cars while in transit to a dealership.

·
Registered
50 Posts
If you don't mind me asking.

How much did it cost you for the rental?

I'm looking to get a quick fix while I'm waiting for my order Stang.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts