Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had Ford confirm what I already knew...my syncros need replacing. They quote me $1850 and every transmission shop I've called either said thats a fair price and I'd have them do it or their price wasnt too far off from Ford's.

So my question is for that price would you guys just buy a new transmission? is the T5 the only transmission that'll link up to the 4.0? ('06) or is there a better one out there I should consider.

Just seems like a lot of money when I could put all the money into a new tranny and swap them out myself. What are thoughts on this?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
So I had Ford confirm what I already knew...my syncros need replacing. They quote me $1850 and every transmission shop I've called either said thats a fair price and I'd have them do it or their price wasnt too far off from Ford's.

So my question is for that price would you guys just buy a new transmission? is the T5 the only transmission that'll link up to the 4.0? ('06) or is there a better one out there I should consider.

Just seems like a lot of money when I could put all the money into a new tranny and swap them out myself. What are thoughts on this?

Thanks
Price seems high to me...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thought the same thing at Ford but other shops in my area (phoenix) gave the same price.

parts from Ford would only be $450 and would love to do it myself, but something tells me this aint an easy job

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
A T-5 isn't all that hard, but you will need some guidance as to what other parts are needed. For example, if a synhro has been scraping much, that gear will need replacing, then the slider rings probably also need to be replaced.

People always get a quote for the rebuild kit with synchro rings, but then find there are several more parts needed that are not cheap!

The tough part on doing that one yourself would be pulling that big flange off the rear of the transmission and getting it back on. Prior to 2005 they just have a yoke that slips out...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Maybe rebuild...

A month or so ago I had my transmission totally rebuilt, ended up costing $2400. Not that I am saying this is the way to go, but I have a year to beat on it and they will fix it for free! You may consider that if you are most of the way there with the $1850 quote.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Too bad you are so far away. I have a good one from a '08. As far as rebuilding it, I've rebuilt at least 20 of them. They are not that hard. You can download the complete assembly manual from Tremec's web sight. I agree that you will probably find more parts inside that need to be replaced besides the blocker rings. The sliders usually get chewed up pretty good when you grind a gear.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Search around on here or Mustang forums. There is a guy that will rebuild the T5 for a reasonable amount. I'll send a link if I can find it again. There is also a kit with an adaptor plate to install a 3650 from a GT into the V6. Might be money better spent, but then you also need to change the driveshaft.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts