Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my first significant paint chip a couple of weeks back, on the usual place, edge of the hood. It was not huge around 1/16" or so.

I bought Ingot Silver and clear paint pens and dabbed them a bit on a glass bottle to get a feel for them. It seemed easy enough as long as you flow the paint properly...

It was going reasonably well, with no expectations for perfection, but I wet sanded a bit too much trying to blend the area of the repair is now it is a bit larger. So then I tried dabbing a bit more paint where I oversanded, which of course melted in and shows differently than the factory paint. Now this needs to be wet sanded and polished without making it even worse.

I am just afraid that by the time I am done I will have done much more harm than good. It's not awful, but it's worse than where I started and now around the size of a pencil eraser. At least I can take some satisfaction in the fact that the chip is filled and should not corrode prematurely

I need to find a point where I can say "good enough" and cut my losses, but I am afraid I've already missed that chance. I guess worst case, if I really eff it up, I can get it professionally fixed.

Metallic paint on a brand new car is definitely not the way to learn this kind of work

·
Registered
149 Posts
Did the same thing pretty much on a small chip. I decided to take it to my paint guy before I screwed it up even worse than I already had. He blended it perfectly. Took several layers and a couple of wet sands for him. Plus the clear he used is going to be more durable than the over the counter lacquer stuff.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
At least you tried. I'd have taken it in. lol

·
Registered
228 Posts
Have you guys tried Dr. Colorchip?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Have you guys tried Dr. Colorchip?
I've used Dr. Colorchip on my other cars. It's pretty easy to use, and if you're patient you will get good results. It's not perfect though: there is no seperate clearcoat and the paint does not 'fill' the chip, just colors it.

Alltogether it does the job and takes your eye away from the chip. Haven't had any chips on the Mustang yet to worry about fixing.

If your chip is past the primer and your zinc, or whatever is used to galvanize the steel, is gone also, might as well get it professionally done and have piece of mind.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.