Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, I've been poking aorund this and other forums and can't seem to find a straight answer on this:

I've got an 02 GT with the Mach 460. The head unit is messed up -- won't load, eject, find or play CDs. I'd like to replace the system with a aftermarket unit, but don't want to replace all the amps and so forth.
Is there a reasonably priced, commonly available, aftermarket unit (and/or adapter kit) that plugs right in to the Ford harness and uses all the Ford wiring and the amps?

Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
you can check out some of the links I stickied and see which one is the best one for your budget.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Lee -- I've been to some of those sites, and have pretty much picked out what I think I want, but none of the sites really say "yes or no" about replacing just the head unit. Crutchfield, for instance -- after you specify the car and sound system options -- lists a wiring adapter that seems to include the connections to the factory amps. But for every receiver, they also say:
"Installation Details for your 2002 Mustang:
Your vehicle is factory-equipped with a special sound system. If you replace your factory radio, you will need to replace your factory amplifier(s) with aftermarket amplifier(s). The Crutchfield adapter (free with most receivers) supplies connections for power and ground only."

I'm just wondering if anyone has replaced JUST the head unit in their Mach 460 and whether they were able to use a standard wiring adapter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 460 died the same horrible death as yours Langod. I've got a 2001 V-6 vert as a daily driver and can only listen to the radio (no cd action at all). Any word on a reasonably priced head unit? I'm tapped out after buying my 06 GT! WOW! My 1st post!!!

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sajawebb said:
My 460 died the same horrible death as yours Langod. I've got a 2001 V-6 vert as a daily driver and can only listen to the radio (no cd action at all). Any word on a reasonably priced head unit? I'm tapped out after buying my 06 GT! WOW! My 1st post!!!
It seems that if you aren't going to replace the amps, you have to buy a special harness to adapt the new head unit's wiring to the Ford harness. The METRA 70-5519 Harness (Go to http://www.partsexpress.com and search for "METRA 70-5519 ) seems to be the only one that works. You'll also need a new headunit with RCA preamp outputs and probably some crossovers/bassblockers for the sub and tweets.

There's a really good article at Stangnet:
http://www.stangnet.com/Tech-Articles/Replacing-Your-2001-Mach-460-Head-Unit.html

FWIW -- I'm planning on getting the Pioneer P4700MP. It's under $200, plays MP3s and has primarily green illumination so it'll match the dash lights. Plus, I've always had good luck with Pioneers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.