Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 96 Cobra yesterday, the owner didnt have the owners manual or any other records besides a title. Today I drained the antifreeze and refilled with new antifreeze. When the vehicle warms up, the idiot light on the far right comes on. It looks like a fan inside a box. The temp gauge is normal, what is this light telling me and what should I do to fix it? Less than a gallon of antifreeze come out of the radiator, am I missing something?
Thanks Tim

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
make sure you dont have an air pocket.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Air Pocket

Thanks! Overtime wont the system release the air? I searched the web last night and found the service manuals for the car. The light is low coolant. The manuals didnt say how much coolant is in the car, it said high capacity. The 2v-4.6 has 1.5 gallons. I'm going to pickup a Chiltons this week. Thanks again!:)
Tim

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I think you can burp the air out by letting it get kinda warm and then slowly realease the radiatior cap. You may have to do it a couiple times.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
yea dude hope you figure it out.. nice car and welcome to the site

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Air

These cars are prone to developing an air pocket upstream of the Thermostat. Drilling a small hole in it helps to alleviate and prevent this problem. There is a procedure for flushing the system that needs to be followed to insure that you get ALL the fluid and scale out and the correct amount of new coolant/water back in.

Driving the car with an air pocket is liable to net you a meltdown, since the pocket will migrate to the thermostat and you are liable to overheat. Be careful.

R

·
0 Posts
on the steel coolant cross-over tube, there is a large pipe plug that is used to purge the coolant system on DOHC's......

·
Registered
189 Posts
yes remove the plug and top your system off with antifreeze through the crossover coolent pipe, should do this once more after the thermostat opens....be sure you wait till it cools..lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.