Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm new and this is my first thread. I couldn't find any other thread related to my problem but maybe someone can help me.

I had a replacement clutch put in the other day and now my car doesn't feel like it use to. Now when I press the gas to accelerate my car feels like a slug. The rpms go up but feels very sluggish.
With the previous clutch and before it went out my car responded very well and accelerated very smooth.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Faster

Sometimes sound can really fool you, if your other clutch was slipping then when you stabbed the throttle the motor would rev higher/faster and it tricks you into thinking you are going faster but your not. Now that it grab's correctly you may have to get used to using different shift points to keep the RPM's up there and go faster at the same time.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Sometimes sound can really fool you, if your other clutch was slipping then when you stabbed the throttle the motor would rev higher/faster and it tricks you into thinking you are going faster but your not. Now that it grab's correctly you may have to get used to using different shift points to keep the RPM's up there and go faster at the same time.
Thanks, I'm just worried I might make an unknown problem worse.

Anyone else know of what may be wrong? maybe new flywheel needed?

·
Registered
491 Posts
One another thing if you disconnected that battery and the computer reset itself it might take some miles for the computer to re-learn you engine. Mine feels sluggish when I reset my computer but after some time it gets better and feels normal

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks

Yeah my battery was disconnected for a good while, plus I had it tested and it came back as dead even after recharge, so I got a new one.

So there is a "smart" computer that'll get use to my driving?

Again thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Hey guys I'm new and this is my first thread. I couldn't find any other thread related to my problem but maybe someone can help me.

I had a replacement clutch put in the other day and now my car doesn't feel like it use to. Now when I press the gas to accelerate my car feels like a slug. The rpms go up but feels very sluggish.
With the previous clutch and before it went out my car responded very well and accelerated very smooth.

Sounds like the clutch isn't releasing all the way. Did you adjust it when after you installed it? If the clutch isn't releasing, when you stab the throttle, the clutch will stay dis-engaged and the rpm's will go up without the speed increasing.
Take a look inside the fork hole opening on the bell housing and be sure the throw out bearing isn't making contact with pressure plate fingers when the pedal is not being depressed. Next, have a buddy push the pedal to the floor and make sure the bearing is depressing the fingers on the pressure plate.. Finally, when the pedal is back up at the rest position, see if you can measure the gap between the face of the throw out bearing and the fingers on the pressure plate. You should have no more than a 1/4". If the distance is more than that, chances are you are not fully releasing the clutch when you depress the pedal. If it is less than that, then when you release the pedal, the fingers are not coming all the way back out and the clutch will not be releasing all the way, causing it to stay engaged all the time. Under this last scenario, when you stab the gas, the rpm's will increase but your speed will not because the clutch disc is still engaged.

Richard

·
Registered
174 Posts
I know when pulling trannys, some wire harnesses need to be disconnected. I'd check to make sure they're all reconnected. I've forgotten to attach some emmisions connections and the car ran fine, until I applied the throttle, and lagged lots of power.
May not be the problem, but its easy and worth checking.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.