Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i have about 300 miles on this new set of heads and i think i am hearing a lot of lifter chatter is this normal and how long before they truely quiet down? surely it cant be from using standard motor oil instead of synthetic causing more than what i had before? it runs great just a little more noisy. any ideas????????????????????????

·
Registered
446 Posts
are you sure its lifter noise? and to break the engine u shouldnt run a full synthetic so good job... have you checked the oil level? also when you changed the heads did you change the cams and the chain guides?

·
Registered
547 Posts
factory engines are broke in before they are sent out the doors i believe, and there are break in specific oils that should be used, not just normal oil

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
stock cams and no i dint change the guides as my motor only had 53k when the spark plug was ejected. the heads came to me assembled. and i did not know about this breakin oil till after i was done and people was aking me what i used so hopfully i didnt screw myself by not using a "cam break in oil". but in a few more miles i will be changing the oil back to royal purple and pray it quiet downs some.

·
Registered
446 Posts
just some FYI if you are running a synthetic such as RP most of the time you will hear more noise if its in the motor or tranny or wherever. when the heads were installed did you also change the timing chains and guides? many ppl dont and the chain guides will make a ticking sound

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Synthetics should never be used for break-ins, they will not let the rings seat right and will not break in cams right either. Are you using the right weight oil? 5w20 is what you need. If you didn't replace the cams you can use synthetic. And for me, I would've replaced to guides anyway. You may have something off a tooth, try checking the compression

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No i did not replace the guides my motor only had 52k when it siffered spark plug ejection. but we did look over the guides and they did not even thave any grooves wore in to the surface they looked new. but i hope the royal purple switch gets rid of the chattter i am now hearing.

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
I keep seeing you say FRPP heads?

Are these the PI heads from the FRPP catalog? Then they are the exact same as everyone else's PI heads, there's nothing special about those. They are just PI heads, same as what came off of your car.

Now, as far as your problems: If you've got ticking, there's only a couple things to check. 1st off, I would change out immediately to dino-oil and see if it doesn't help. Like said before, new cams and lash adjusters don't like synthetics.

Now, for everyone else reading's benefits also. I know you didn't replace the timing chain guides because of mileage, but I've seen a TON of 4.6's with lower mileage have worn out guides, so I always recommend replacing them, even at 50k miles, because I've seen them completely worn out at 70k miles.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow, man that sucks about the chain guides cause it is more towards the front of the engine you hear it. i sure wish it would have said something about this on "all data" ... heck that means i have to pull the whole front of the engine off again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.