Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2011 Mustang GT with the standard brakes and just over 36K miles. The brakes are starting to feel (and sound) a little funny. Things feel normal when you first start braking, but during the last 10 - 20 feet before the car comes to a complete stop the pedal feels odd and there is a grinding noise coming from the front. I haven't pulled a wheel off yet, but I'm thinking I will replace the front brake pads and the rotors may need to be turned (or replaced.)

Does anyone have recommendations for replacement brake pads? I'm not going to race the car, and would prefer something that generates less brake dust than stock.

I've read some good reviews of the Hawk pads, but there have also been some really negative reviews as well (something about the springs?)

I've also read good reviews of the Autozone gold pads. Has anyone used those?

How about the Roush pads or the Wagners?

Thanks for any information or experiences you share.

·
Registered
193 Posts

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
+1 on Hawk ceramics. Cheap, low dust and fine for all daily driving.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
The Autozone gold will have brake dust. I have used them on other cars. Most ceramic pads will have minimum dust but brake performance changes with different manufactures. They are ok for non track use.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I'd stick to the oem stuff semi metallic. Yeah you'll have the same dust problem but if u get the ceramics your asking for trouble. Reason being their harder and your brakes will get hot as heck that could possibly warp your rotors. I'd put ceramics only if your running crossed drilled rotors.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
????? ceramics will NOT equate to "warped" rotors. This is such a misused term.

I've been running ceramics on all different type of rotors for many, many years.

Warping of rotors???? This is HIGHLY unlikely.

You bed pads in wrong and you will get an uneven application of material that untrained drivers will refer to as "warped rotors"... but "warping"? no.

If you come in hot off the track and put your brakes on you might see some issues.

OP... ceramics are just fine.

I'd stick to the oem stuff semi metallic. Yeah you'll have the same dust problem but if u get the ceramics your asking for trouble. Reason being their harder and your brakes will get hot as heck that could possibly warp your rotors. I'd put ceramics only if your running crossed drilled rotors.

·
Registered
638 Posts

I've been running ceramics on all different type of rotors for many, many years.

You bed pads in wrong and you will get an uneven application of material that untrained drivers will refer to as "warped rotors"... but "warping"? no.

If you come in hot off the track and put your brakes on you might see some issues.

What ceramic pads were you running? I once or twice used ceramic pads from autozone on a Dakota. Brakes were extremely hot than usual and missed up my rotors over time. Then again I stopped buying from autozone. Their parts are cheap and fail.

·
Registered
392 Posts

+1, good call on the warped brake rotor myth. The myth makes $$$$ for all the brake shops that work on peoples car that just don't know any better.

Here is some good reading for those that want to know:

-Warped- Brake Disc and Other Myths

What ceramic pads were you running? I once or twice used ceramic pads from autozone on a Dakota. Brakes were extremely hot than usual and missed up my rotors over time. Then again I stopped buying from autozone. Their parts are cheap and fail.
You sure you didn't have a stuck brake piston? There could be other reasons why the brake pads would not retract properly when letting off the brakes.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Come to think of it I did have to replace passenger caliper during that time.

·
Registered
366 Posts
That would be an important piece of info... lol. Ceramics wont warp your rotors unless you dont bed them correctly or you are racing constantly and dont let your brakes cool.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts