Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of years ago I put some new rubber on the original 1964.5 splash shields and today I noticed that the rubber is starting to get hard and falling apart! The 47 year old original rubber was all in one piece and wasn't even falling apart but I thought I would replace it anyway, and the new rubber doesn't even last 2 years! It was a real pain putting the new rubber on with all those damn staples. I needed to share my frustration and wonder if any of you have the same problem?, I think the rubber was made by scott drake but not sure.

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
Good to know. I will be ordering the rubber. Maybe will try to keep as much of the original as possible? Or maybe the rubber needs some silicon wiped on it to keep it soft.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
About 2 years ago, I replaced the splash shields on my 65 as well. I bought the parts from NPD. They had a 6 piece replacement set for $10.50. I live close enough to NPD to go and pick up from them whenever I want. Problem was, they were out of this set but had a "Concours" set for $23. They claimed that the material was concours approved and that there is a difference. I was impatient and went for the more expensive stuff even though it was over twice the amount. I saw your post and checked my splash shields. They seem soft and supple and almost the way I installed them. I would hate to think that the difference was the more expensive set. However, it's possible. I often buy the OE Tooling stuff and have never been disappointed. I would hate to think that you always buy the more expensive stuff as a rule of thumb. BTW: I don't recall this stuff being "Scott Drake"

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
The repro rubber is often cheap Chinese junk. I have had some of it fall apart BEFORE I could install it. Knowing what was in the splash shield kit I got, if it falls apart I will go to a local supplier who sells REAL sheet rubber, get a 1/16" thick sheet of nitrile, cut my own and use the repro kit staples to install it. At least the staples were metal and shouldn't fall apart - maybe? :)

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Anyone wanna fill me in on what rubber splash shields are?? and where they are supposed to be? I dont have them i dont think. Catalog shows them for 1966 tho. Only piece of rubber i got is the battery protection on inner fender.

They even shows pics in catalog & i still dont know what they are. :?:

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
They are inside the fenders and basically extend off fender apron near the firewall.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Here are some pics to show you the location and illustrate what Lizer said. The 2nd pic is refinished with the new rubber installed. There is also a smaller splash shield that goes at the front of the fender.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
i went out & looked last night. Thought i found them. Looks like they are something you would replace only when completely tearing the front part of the car apart.

I learned something new yesterday! Thanx for the info & pics guys

·
Registered
503 Posts
I checked mine out when I took the fenders off the other day (sandblasting the engine bay atm). The orignal ones were still intact, so maybe ill just clean them up since they seem to hold out much better than new cheap stuff

1 - 9 of 9 Posts