Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i am rebuilding a 1965 289, new speed pro pistons, the crank has been grinded and rebalanced, rods were cleaned and honed out, block bored .030 over we have built all the bottom end back and it is really hard to turn we know the pistons are tight, new bearings, and assembly lube on everything we know its suppose to be hard to turn but not sure if its supposed to be this hard

i had heard something about the rods needed to go back on the same journals or in other words used in the same cylinders or the engine will not go back together right, that is the only thing we did not do pistons are facing right directions main caps are on in the right order but if the rods were honed out shouldnt they go on in any order and not need to go back on the same journals, and if they still do need to be matched after being honed out then how would you know where to start if you bought brand new rods?

my first engine build, i have the knowledge just working on the experience now, but i really dont want to tear all the pistons back out if its not needed the engine may just be hard to turn cause its not worn in. i dont know how hard they supposed to be to turn so i could use a little guidance from someone with experience, if someones willing to help me out

by the way the engine can be turned with a wrench on the crankshaft bolt but my dad has to hold the engine and stand down or up, depending whichever im trying to turn it. definatly not locked up

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
when i was helping my friend degree his cam on his 65 fairlane 289 .030 it turned over hard and the short bolck was built by a good shop. i was concerned because my 91 5.0 rebuild/refresh, old pistons and bore. and crank turned over easyer, but when we started his it ran good , when turning it off the engine stops quickly ,i told him to take it easy with it, its tight, as far as the rods i like to keep the in the properly marked positon/bore,it should be ok but i think at least 1,2,3,4 need to be on the passenger side, right and 5,6,7,8 needs to be on the drivers side, left, big G :scratchchin

·
Banned
7,170 Posts
that sounds alittle too tight. i would go back and start taking it apart. after each part you take off turn it over a little and see if it feels better.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts