Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having a hard time shifting gears where each gear shift requires extra muscle to literally jam it into and out of gear with the problem most noticeable shifting from 3rd to 4th. From 4th to 5th it sometimes pops out of gear unless I hold it in place for a second after the shift and it’s impossible to shift fast like when you’re racing somebody or horsing around. If I shift slowly it isn’t too bad and there’s no chance of grinding. Of course with this intentional hesitation you lose momentum which is annoying.

I’ve already replaced the gearbox fluid with synthetic and it hasn’t made a difference. Talked to my mechanic and he recommends replacing the synchros, I’m assuming this means all the synchros, so we’re “go” for this repair. This is happening while I get my rear differential rebuilt and have the 4.10 kit installed. I dropped a deposit and the mechanic is ordering the parts. After an engine install ahead of me I’ll finally be getting my gears and hopefully some smooth shifting to go along with it and add to the fun. The car will be tied up for 3 days or so and cost around $800 - $1000, naturally I’m hoping for the lower number but the biggest factor in this is the labor and time involved.

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
yeah you are due for a rebuild and a good high performance clutch/pp and to bearing...I recently did mine...the new modern synchros are awesome...with a Fidanza 2.1 clutch and Pro 5.0 shifter it's the setup to have...I can hammer it to the redline and it shifts like buttah!
Ah yes, it's only money.....$700 for rebuild, $225 for clutch kit...labor, I forgot how much, was a pain for my tuner since I have long tube headers and they had to come off.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts