Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it's time to swap the transmission in my 2006 Mustang with a newer one (with less miles) as i'm just about to lose 2nd and 3rd gear thanks to the da** servo going out. Thanks Ford!

Does anyone have a write-up on removing the transmission? I've pulled plenty on older muscle cars - talk about easy! I'm sure I can just start tearing it apart but if someone has a write-up to ensure it goes quickly and correctly, that'd be great! Plus if there are tricks or tips that I should know.

Thanks for the help!!
:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'm just curious...if it's so easy how come a mechanic charges so much in labor?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I said the older muscle cars are super easy - I can pull the 4 speed out of my 70 Duster in 25 minutes tops. I can pull the automatic from my 70 Charger in 30 minutes. These newer transmissions are bigger and harder - thus the hopeful thread for a write-up on pulling the auto from my Mustang.

I think they charge so much not due to how hard the job is, but because they are selfish and want your money. I think charging $70-$100 an hour for any job is ridiculous! But that's my opinion :gringreen

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Well, on front wheel drive cars, getting the transmission out can really be a pain. I changed the clutch on my wifes Hyundai Elantra last october and it took me a few days, and I never ended up removing her transmission completely. On her car, I would be required to lower the front subframe to completely remove the transmission. With rear wheel drive cars, it is theoretically easier because there is less blocking the trans from coming out. However, much of the cost of changing the transmission is the actual transmission itself (I think).

For the OP. I've read online that if you raise or lower the eingine slightly, you can acheive a more desirable angle for the transmission to remove/install it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts